GO!

Snowsuit for winter walks?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 9:11pm PST 
IMHO if you try booties keep the sales slip. When I worked at PetSmart that was a number one returned item. Some dogs can't stand them and others have feet that don't hold them on so well. Worth a try against cold and rock salt though.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 11:26am PST 
I agree about keeping the receipt. I tried booties with Milton and he would give me a hard time getting them on. After getting them on, he bit and pulled each bootie off. I wish he would accept them.
[notify]
Remy

I hate sweaters

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 2:38pm PST 
Remy isn't exactly a full coated pom. He's flat coated with a lot of fur around his neck in the best of times. He went through a big shed this summer, so his coat is a little spotty right now. Still, I'll probably just keep an eye on him and only put on a sweater/coat if he looks cold. It's easy enough to toss one in my pocket. My mom's making leg warmers for his front legs, since I know he has pain when it gets below 20, but that maybe all he needs.

So far attempts to get him to wear Pawz are not going well. The back feet are fine, but I can't get them on the front and the next size up looks WAY too big. I don't have much hope for other types of boots.
[notify]

Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 9:00pm PST 
I have heard that "musher's secret" works well for paws in winter and on hot pavement. It is a wax? based something that is rubbed onto the pads.

20 degrees, ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I hang out near the heater when it gets below 40 here. Even nordic dogs can get cold, but I did enjoy the snow when we had some a few years ago.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 10:31am PST 
In the mornings where I live it's already that cold in the mornings. I don't put anything on him until it is very cold. On sunny days if it is 20 I would not put a jacket on my short haired dog for walks. I don't use it much early in the winter and late fall because I want him to acclimate to cold weather. I think it's like putting a coat on a horse. If you put a coat on a horse, they won't grow their winter coats.

It gets super cold here. A couple of years ago it was negative 20 for almost a week straight and would not get above 0 all day. My truck would not run and people's cars where dying all over the place. It was soooo cold. I had to be jumped twice in a week. I bought booties for my dog because he was literally crying when he would come back in from cold paws.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 12:47pm PST 
I second the recommendation of Musher's Secret. Instead of fighting to get the boots on every time you go out, instead you massage it into your dog's feet a few times a week. Much easier and just as effective.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 5:36pm PST 
I use Pawz boots because they use TONS of salt and chemical ice melter in the winter around here...seriously large amounts, when there are patches with no snow you sometimes find yourself walking through piles of ice melter. I don't want that on my dog's feet. silenced

Edited by author Tue Nov 20, '12 5:37pm PST

[notify]
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Thu Nov 22, '12 6:22pm PST 
I would judge by your dog's response to the cold. Risa is a larger dog but she has very little body fat and not much coat. When she was younger, only her paws would get cold. Cold feet and she'd stop moving. wink As she's gotten older, she needs a jacket when it's cold out. I noticed last year she was still getting cold with a coat on so I got her pajamas this week so that her thighs/knees would be covered and warm. Though it hasn't been that cold yet this year, I've already noticed a difference when we go out.
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 9:40am PST 
We love Musher's Secret here. I used to put booties on Kitsune in the winter, and he actually didn't mind them, but it got kind of annoying having to put them on him each time we went out - then take them off again. Plus I was constantly having to wash them. We switched and use Musher's Secret now. In the winter when there is a lot of road salt I put it on Kitsune twice a week and that's enough to keep the salt and stuff from bothering him.

I've never put Kitsune in a snowsuit. He's been in some pretty cold weather, but the most I've ever put on him is a coat. He's a Papillon, they are a single coated breed, but even so he's always seemed fine with his back end uncovered.

Sometimes even if it's not too cold, but snowy, I'll put a tshirt/sweater on him mostly just to keep his fur out of the snow. Those dang snowballs that get caught up in his long fur can get annoying.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 1:01pm PST 
Has anyone tried a Lycra body suit? My Schnoodles had a thick long 3" coat and gets covered with ice balls.I am sure she is not cold. I do put fabri c boots in her like the one sled dogs use. I don't want to cut her hair she doesn't mat if I bruise her by couple,of days.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2