GO!

Holiday Card Exchange with a "Dog Twist" anyone???

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Sat Oct 27, '12 4:07pm PST 
It is NOT a good idea to share any personal informatipn online woth total strangers. You dhoild not even give out your real name. Make some virtual friends first before you take it to the next level. This is basic common sense for safety!!!
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sat Oct 27, '12 4:26pm PST 
BOL, it is risky to give out one's home address. However, I have a po box and would be willing to participate in a card exchange. An E card exchange might be fun too. dog walk
[notify]
Emma-Gem

I'm the PRINCESS- of the house!

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '12 8:26am PST 
thanks for the thoughts but ive been doing this for years with people ive never met online and never had any issues. I dont do the e-card thing ! its fine if you dont want to do it no worries...!

Edited by author Mon Nov 5, '12 5:47pm PST

[notify]

Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '12 10:28am PST 
I know sometimes the plus forums hold card exchanges, if you're interested? Or if you don't want to pay to upgrade to plus, you could join some of the groups here on Dogster. Many are close knit and you can get to know people better before leaping right into exchanging info etc. I've been in a few exchanges myself, but i'd not be comfortable taking part in ones where i'm not already familiar with the people hosting/taking part in them too.
[notify]
Squ'mey

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '12 11:39am PST 
As someone who works in child/adolescent mental health, I stress again how bad an idea this is! You join a site & 3 days later you are giving us your name & locationeek While you may feel safe doing this, & had success with it in the past it is a dangerous risk. I have personally worked with a young lady who met someone she had met online..he left her so traumatized she will never have a normal life again.
People scoff at internet safety..but the bogeyman does not hide under the bed..he/she is alive & well & trolling online.
The suggestions of joining a group here is much better. Yes, I have exchanged cards with some dogsters, & even met them in real life..but we were all very careful & it was certainly not a random shout out via forums.
Kids frequent this site & is is not a good idea to tell them there is no issue sharing things like asl. Sorry to sound preachy, but i have seen the consequences & it ain't pretty & should NOT be encouraged!!!
[notify]
Squ'mey

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '12 3:39pm PST 
Insulting someone for pointing out safety issues is not cool & goes against dogster guidelines. This is a safe place for dog folk of ALL ages & we want to keep it that way. I am not crazy & I only gave one example of many. I NEVER said YOU were a creep.
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '12 3:44pm PST 
I don't think Squ'mey meant it in that way at all, that you have the wrong intentions or anything, but rather to protect you yourself. These forums are public forums and anyone can view the posts here without being a registered member which means your info and anything else you post is out there for all to see and that can be dangerous.

Thankfully you didn't give to much info away but Squ'mey is just warning of the dangers that can happen. Better to be safe than sorry. Like we said, it's best you join a group if you're interested in continuing setting this kind of thing up. There is plenty of them here!
[notify]
Sun

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '12 7:08pm PST 
Gosh, such rude responses. She was asking about a fun little holiday thing intended to brighten someone's day. This kind of thing is not uncommon in internet communities. I've done gift exchanges in various other forums with strangers. No big deal. If you're not comfortable giving someone you name or address, there are nicer ways to excuse yourself from such a thing, or don't respond!
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '12 7:46pm PST 
Dogster is actually for kids as young as 13...so a lot of young kids are on here.

Also remember that search engines like google can access posts. This is NOT a closed "internet community".
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '12 11:09pm PST 
I don't think it was anyone's intention to be rude when responding to the OP. There are indeed children on this site and like Squ'mey said, it's not a good example to set for them. And even if you don't mean it for children, how are you going to know how old someone is over the internet?

A card exchange is a nice idea, but giving out your address to people you know nothing about is a safety risk, whether you're an adult or a child. Just because you've never had a bad outcome exchanging addresses with strangers before doesn't mean you never will. If people decide to give out their personal information, that is certainly their choice, but those of us who have seen or experienced the negative side of such interactions would be remiss if we didn't speak up.

Joining a group and getting to know the members on a more personal level first is a great idea for anyone interested in this kind of activity.
[notify]
(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2