GO!

Puppy eating poo?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

Heidi

Barked: Thu May 31, '12 5:46am PST 
My 11 week old pom puppy has an affinity for poo. This is causing issues other than being simply disgusting --it's causing her not to be able to get over her hookworms! She came from the breeder with these, which I had never heard of. Turns out they thrive in sandy soil environments (she was pretty close to the beach) but do poorly in clay soil environments, which is what we have in the Piedmont in NC. None of my pets had these before. She has been dewormed for these both times she has gone in for her vaccinations.

As soon as she poops, she turns around and starts eating it. I could previously catch up in time and grab her, but now she is on to me. She runs to the back of our very long yard and starts pooping. While I am running to intercept the poo-eating, she is simultaneously pooping and spinning in circles to pick up what has dropped. If I manage to get there before the whole turd is in her mouth, she gulps it down very quickly.

I feel like this is counter-productive to potty training because I am telling her "Good girl Heidi! Good girl for pooping in the yard --HEIDI NO!"

I keep hearing to add crushed pineapple to her food. My vet's assistant suggested unflavored meat tenderizer.

Do you dogs ever eat their poo, and if so, how (if) did you break this raunchy habit?

Thanks for any advice and suggestions!
[notify]
MACH, C-ATCH- Bailey RN,- CGCA

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Fri Jun 1, '12 6:18am PST 
I think you need to take her out on leash to poop so you can be right there with her to pick the poop up immediately so she never has a chance to get it. She can have her play time after she's finished with her business. Pomeranians are really smart and always seem to be finding ways to stay one step ahead of you.
[notify]
MaggieMay

Queen Of The- Universe

Barked: Fri Jun 1, '12 10:23am PST 
Ahh poop eaters silenced. Maggie May was a big time poop eater for a long time. When we first adopted her from the rescue it was really bad. She would poop and then automatically turn around and eat it.

It was a combination of a better diet (She's on raw but you don't have to do that), being walked on the leash for potty breaks so I could automatically correct/stop her, and crushed pineapple in her diet (which she LOVES). That finally broke her of the habit.

She was a year old when I adopted her. And it was a insanely long process of trial and error until we got her to completely stop eating her poop. There was a time before we changed her diet that she actually started to not mind the taste of her pineapple poop silenced. So we had to go back to leash corrections. It was really frustrating.

She is now 6 years old and every once in a great while. I mean it's extremely rare definitely not even a monthly occurance. She will turn around and try and sneak a taste of her poop silenced.

Our vet says she is healthy and is not lacking anything in the nutrition department. She simply enjoys eating her own poo big laugh. I think it's some that she did since puppyhood in the puppymill she was raised in. Something she did out of boredom. And it just snowballed.

So it's a good thing your nipping this in the bud early with your puppy way to go. I would definitely walk her on the leash and correct her before she gets the chance to eat the poop. Maybe even give her a high value treat when she turns her attention from the poop to you. And then praise. You can also try the pineapple or meat tend but remember some dogs don't mind the taste.

Edited by author Fri Jun 1, '12 10:24am PST

[notify]

Heidi

Barked: Fri Jun 1, '12 8:48pm PST 
Thank you both so much for the responses!

I have been trying to get her used to the leash. As of now she has not pooped while wearing her harness, only peed on rare occasions. Much of our leash time is spent with her running in circles holding part of the leash, so it'll take some practice before she can poop while on the leash. That would help a lot with me getting to her before she can eat the poop!

Right now she's eating Blue Buffalo Life Protection Small Breed Puppy food. Crushed pineapple has been the most common suggestion I have heard to put on her food to make her dislike the taste of her poo! I'll try it since it has worked for so many people.

Giving her treats is a good idea, too. That way she'll be more eager to run to me, instead of away for me, for something that hopefully tastes better than poop!
[notify]
Rascal

Silly

Barked: Mon Jun 4, '12 8:16pm PST 
Best advice is training. I have a semi retired poop eater. He knows leave it and usually it stops him. Previous to training I tried all the supplements even ones from vet. Nothing worked..I slowed his eating down too and gave him a better diet too. I would definitely leash her. I wonder if there was too much poo at the breeders she thinks its normal?
[notify]