GO!

Does anyone have their small dog go on pee pads instead of outside?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 4 of 5: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Sophie

I'm sweet but- sassy!

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 4:02pm PST 
Yes. Both my pom mix and chihuahua mix go on pee pads! No shame here! wink
[notify]
Kobi

Bitches love me- :)

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 4:46pm PST 
Kobi does both. When i'm at work, he stays in the house so we always have pee pads in one room and he knows where they are. He uses them through the night as well. When i'm home he usually stands at the back door when he needs to go.
[notify]
Misty

I'm a lover!

Barked: Thu Mar 7, '13 12:47am PST 
I've never had a teeny, tiny dog- Misty is the smallest, at 14 lbs, so I don't have the experience of owning a dog who can not physically hold urine for 8 hours or so. I think if a dog has to relieve themselves every few hours, than it is kind and humane to give them an inside option. Even for someone who is home all the time, there probably will be times when you have to be away several hours....not to mention at night.

Guess if they can hold it, then it's personal preference whether you want a dog to toilet inside. I think it matters where you live too- if I lived on the 20th floor in Manhattan, I might think of using piddle pads. My dogs have a doggy door and a fenced in yard, so pottying outside is very easy here.

When I adopted Misty, she had no use for the outdoors and was convinced the bathroom rug was where she needed to go. If I took the rug up, she went on the floor where the rug was. If I closed the BR door- she went in front of the door! In her mind, that was the right thing to do.

I think she was probably trained to piddle pads in somebody's bathroom, and this business of tinkling outside was completely foreign to her. It took a little while to break this, but having 2 other dogs who are trained to go outside helped, and she is good now.

Misty wasn't sure what to do with the outdoors in general at first either- and would look back at me on our walks when Lily and Max would go plowing into a stream, or jump on a boulder, as if to say "Am I supposed to do that too?" But it didn't take long for her to realize all that was very fun... and she now romps through the snow and brush like a real dog. Funny to watch the transition- I think she was kept inside a lot before I got her. And she was from NC- where it is a bit warmer than here. Plus she had to be shaved- so being cold was probably a piece of it. Now that her coat has grown in, she loves to play in the snow.
[notify]

Cocoa Loco

Fastest tongue- in the west

Barked: Thu Mar 7, '13 4:08am PST 
I never go out at night and easily hold my urine for 8 to 10 hours.(I am 10 pounds) (Everyone else goes out around 1am but I refuse to come out from under the covers.

Auda and I use pee pads when our person is at work and it is too cold/hot for us in the outside kennel.
[notify]
Ch. Ali, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!

Barked: Thu Mar 7, '13 3:09pm PST 
"I've never had a teeny, tiny dog- Misty is the smallest, at 14 lbs, so I don't have the experience of owning a dog who can not physically hold urine for 8 hours or so"
Misty, small dogs do have small bladders BUT they also produce smaller amounts of urine so they have no more issues holding their urine than huge dogs do.
The only time I use a pee pad for my tinies is when they are being trained as young pups...the pee pad is in the expen, along with their crate with an open door, some toys and water. When I get home, the pee pad comes up and they go outside often enough to get the idea that is where they are supposed to go. They are crated at night so no pee pad needed.
By the time they are 4 months old they are exclusively going outside, yes, even in our NH Winters, and the pee pads are gone.
Works great!
[notify]
Chanel

Run! Run! Run!- Run!

Barked: Fri Mar 8, '13 4:19pm PST 
It may be very confusing to keep everything in the crate. I have my Chihuahua on a leash with her pee pad on the opposite side from where her cage is. Her cage is just used as a comfort thing for her bed. I do have her trained to go outside and on her pad. It hasn't confused either of my Chihuahuas.
[notify]
Misty

I'm a lover!

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 12:57am PST 
Ch. Ali-
Thanks for the input. It's good to know that a very small dog does not need to have piddle pads. I guess I've heard of enough people with teeny dogs using indoor litter boxes and that type of thing, that I assumed it was just something a teeny dog needed. Although I fostered a 5 lb Chi who did just fine without that. I always had big dogs before this, so I'm still getting used to being a small dog owner.

Maxie is the only dog I raised from a small puppy- and I did the same thing with the pads- just started him off on pads for a few weeks and then put the pads outside and transitioned him to just outside. He was a breeze to housebreak- but he is my perfect dog smile

So, I guess it's just a matter of individual preference, and it's good to know that there is no physiological reason a tiny dog can't hold their urine, which helps me in expectations for fosters.
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Tue Mar 26, '13 3:04pm PST 
U can get an exercise pen with a top from rover or Midwest and then there will be room for a potty pad and a bed and room to walk around.
[notify]
Monty

Time for the- Full Monty

Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 8:43pm PST 
I got lazy and tired of cleaning up pee pads for when it was to cold for him to go outside. So on those days he goes in the bathtub... shock
[notify]
Terry

Barked: Sat Mar 30, '13 8:13pm PST 
Nowcthat we are on that topic....my chihuahua uses the pads,but she also uses the rugs on the house....is that because they feel like the pad?
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 5: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5