GO!

Dachshund Hair Types

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Khloe

Life has 2- options-- Chase it or eat- it.

Barked: Sat Sep 17, '11 4:40pm PST 
I have a question about Khloe's hair type. Since I first got her, people have said she's a long-haired dachshund. That's what I've always called her myself. But a friend of mine today said he believes she's a smooth coated dachshund that hasn't had her coat blown out, or...something like that. I was a little surprised to hear this and he showed me a picture of what a long-haired dachshund is supposed to look like. Now, I've seen long-haired dachshunds with hair down to the floor before, but I really didn't think it mattered...

Khloe's hair does not look like ANY of the smooth coated dachshunds I know. If I wanted to, I could put the hairs all over her in little tiny short braids. Granted, her hair does NOT go all the way to the floor, but is there some sort of standard that says it has to? I'm a little confused now...
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Sat Sep 17, '11 5:12pm PST 
Khloe is definitely a long-haired Doxie. And very cute! I've seen various coat lengths, as well as a few smooth-coated Doxies with slightly longer hair on the ears and tail.
[notify]
Khloe

Barked: Sat Sep 17, '11 8:58pm PST 
Thanks Lupi! smile I certainly thought so. I do wonder why some long-haired doxies' hair grows down to the floor and others don't though. thinking

ETA: Oh and thanks!! smile Lupi is a cutie too! Her head looks so nice and kissable! kissing

Edited by author Sat Sep 17, '11 8:59pm PST

[notify]

D'artagnan

I'm not lazy,- I'm just waiting- to play..

Barked: Sun Sep 18, '11 2:50am PST 
Hi khloe! Dar is a long haired too but you wouldn't really know it. He has long ears and a flag tail but the rest of his hair is pretty short considering. I talked to a woman at the dog park and she said a full Doxie coat won't come in until around three years of age. I don't know if that's true though. Dar's moms coat was pretty thin so she didn't look exceptionally log haired either.
[notify]
Khloe

Barked: Sun Sep 18, '11 5:02am PST 
Dar's coat looks a lot like Khloe's actually! The ears and the tail are almost exactly the same style! Dar is absolutely beautiful! smile
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Sun Sep 18, '11 6:01am PST 
Thanks Khloe, Lupi is extremely kissable!
We went to Weinerpalooza yesterday. It's an event for Dachshunds in my city. There were tons of cuties there-every coat type and colour you could imagine! In fact, it was difficult to pick out what the "standard" was, since there was so much variety. That's one of the cool things about the breed-something for everyone!
[notify]
Khloe

Barked: Sun Sep 18, '11 6:09am PST 
Wienerpalooza!! That sounds like a lot of fun!! smile I wish my town had something like that going on!!
[notify]
Oscar

Mama's Boy~- *Therapy Dog*

Barked: Sun Sep 18, '11 3:13pm PST 
she is deffinently a long hair. i've seen dachshunds with hair clear to the floor, ones that are practically smooth hair except for their ears and tails and ones that are in between. My long hair Oscar is kind of in between he has the long hair on his ears and tail and somewhat medium hair on his body.
[notify]
Sonny

the world's- first blond,- agility Beagle

Barked: Mon Sep 19, '11 8:36pm PST 
Coat types explained

You may all like the above link. The breeder explains that smooth coat is the dominant gene over long hair, and wire haired trumps them both. Maybe some Dachshunds express more of the smooth gene, even though they are obviously long haired Dachshunds??

And it does make sense that the coat will look more profuse with maturity.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Sep 20, '11 4:48am PST 
Don't forget... show dachshunds with all that hair do not run thru the grass and bushes... they are kept confined in expens with that hair protected so it doesn't break off or get tangled.
I am sure your longhaired dachshunds would have longer, fuller coats if you chose to do that type of confinement with them.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2