GO!

I might be a new small dog mom!

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Misty

Can I chase it?!

Barked: Fri Aug 12, '11 6:15pm PST 
A stray chihuahua showed up in my front yard yesterday morning. I am trying to find her owners but dogs are often dumped where I live so I'm not holding my breath. If I can't find her owners I am strongly considering keeping her. But I've always had medium/large dogs. I've currently got a 50lb mix and a 26lb cocker spaniel. They are both very fond of the chi and she seems to have adjusted to them.
Any tips for a (possible) new small dog mom?
Misty (the large mix) LOVES small dogs, always has, and seems to know she can not play with tiny dogs the way she plays with larger ones. Cooper (the cocker) doesn't pay much attention to her at all. The chi seems perfectly content ignoring the dogs and staying at my side at all times. It's hard not to fall for her. dog
[notify]
Cocoa Loco

Fastest tongue- in the west

Barked: Fri Aug 12, '11 7:04pm PST 
I get on fine with all of the big dogs at my house. You will love having a small dog, we have enough personality for about four great Danes packed in one little body. big laugh

dog walk
[notify]
Chloe

Barked: Fri Aug 12, '11 11:12pm PST 
We just adopted a chihuahua/dachsund mix and there was a lot for me to learn! She cannot wear a collar because many small dogs have sensitive tracheas! After her first 3 days with us, she began hacking and throwing up. After some research, we realized her trachea was the problem, as she tends to pull (she's still learning to heel). We bought a harness and all is well. smile

The hardest part is treating her exactly the same as our 60-lb pit. No carrying or couch privileges, unless both dogs are invited. Treating them differently due to their size encourages small dog syndrome. Oh, and there are some health issues specific to their breed as well. Good luck and thank you for rescuing!
[notify]

Sophie

A Princess ;)

Barked: Sat Aug 13, '11 1:31pm PST 
I think the others have given good advice! I agree on not babying her too much because the other dogs will notice. With small dogs it's SO easy to get caught up in the baby mentality because they're small and cute and clingy and you can pick them up and carry them etc.

I dunno how small the chi is but hypoglycemia may be an issue. Also, broken bones - a simple leap off the bed can do that! So you just have to be more aware of the size.
[notify]
Misty

Can I chase it?!

Barked: Sat Aug 13, '11 3:42pm PST 
I can't say that I don't baby her, but I CAN say that my big dogs get babied just as much lol.
I have heard that small dogs should not go longer than 12 hours between feedings. Is that true? Also, she is missing a lot of teeth so I've been giving her canned food. But sometimes I HAVE to stay gone longer than 12 hours (rarely but it happens occasionally). Since I can't leave kibble for her and the canned can go bad, how do I deal with this?
[notify]
MACH, C-ATCH- Bailey RN,- CGCA

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Sat Aug 13, '11 6:05pm PST 
As long as she's an adult she should have enough muscle mass to prevent hypoglycemia if she needs to go a bit longer than 12 hours between feedings. I'd never go that long with a puppy though. You could leave her a frozen stuffed kong to work on while you're gone if you're worried about how she'll handle the longer time between feedings. That will probably hold her over for awhile.
[notify]
Misty

Can I chase it?!

Barked: Sat Aug 13, '11 6:09pm PST 
Thanks, Bailey! She is definitely an adult. I would assume she is a senior by the condition of her teeth, but I'm under the impression that small dogs have more problems with their teeth than older dogs so I really don't know for sure.
[notify]
Murphy

Why run when you- can hop??!!

Barked: Sun Aug 14, '11 8:29am PST 
Aww she sounds like quite the little keeper! You are going to have post some photos of the little cutie! wink Have you brought her to the vet yet? They will be able to give a better idea of her age & you can also get her scanned for a microchip there too.

Big dogs & littles can do wonderful with each other! Some good friends of ours have a very large golden retriever who has agression issues with other large dogs but loves small & some medium sized dogs. A few years ago they got a pug who is pretty small & the two just adore each other! Sometimes the play can get a bit rough so they do try to monitor it as much as possible which I would recommend for you too.

wishesHope everything works out with the new furball!
[notify]
Misty

Can I chase it?!

Barked: Sun Aug 14, '11 8:45pm PST 
Hi Murphy. I took her to the vet the day I found her to check for a microchip but she doesn't have one. If I don't find her owners I'll be making an appointment to have her chipped and vaccinated. I'll have to ask about her age then.
I bumped into my neighbor today who said that they kelp Lil Bit (that's what I've been calling her) over night a few nights back and then let her go. I don't know why they didn't take her to the shelter or something but I'm glad I got ahold if her before she got hurt.
PS: I'll be making a Dogster profile for her soon.
[notify]
Caroline

Barked: Mon Aug 15, '11 12:33am PST 
Weird. My grams calls her dog Little Bit.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3