GO!

Does anyone have a male dog who hikes his leg inside often?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Jack

Sir Shasta Jack- Fungston is the- name (:

Barked: Sat Jun 18, '11 8:36pm PST 
My papillon does and we have a dog door so its not that he cant go outside. I think its seperation anxiety
[notify]
Toby

Barked: Sun Jun 19, '11 10:43am PST 
Toby used to hike his leg and mark in the house anytime our backs were turned. We couldn't figure out why he did this since we let him outside to pee at least every hour. We made his wear a belly band for a few years, until finally I found the solution of making sure his bladder was completely empty. Without long walks, Toby was never emptying out his bladder since even outside he pees by marking, which isn't a lot of pee. Once he was taking a 45 minute walk early in the morning and completely emptying out, and then just maintaing the empty bladder status with a few more small walks, the marking stopped.

I felt stupid after discovering this solution. 5 year problem and a 30 minute solution. Still, we have had occasional accidents if we dont catch Toby sitting at the door right away, but we are down to one accident every 6 months or so, which I am happy to live with.
[notify]
Rico Suave

I IS DA EVIL- LITTLE PILLOW- THIEF!

Barked: Sun Jun 19, '11 11:00am PST 
My papillon rico is the same way you must empty the bladder let him pee on what ever he wants outside and as gross as it sounds watch the pee stream when hes hiking his leg and nothing is comming out anymore you can go back inside.

also keep a record of what he is marking on

empty bladder or not rico will attempt to mark my dads coat or back pack when ever possible

the dog might be marking items of a person who bother him or threatens him my dad always pesters rico so rico always bugs him. if hes in my room with me no marking unless i cant wake up in time to let him out.
[notify]

Jack

Sir Shasta Jack- Fungston is the- name (:

Barked: Mon Jun 20, '11 2:36pm PST 
My dog doesnt pee in my room either but he will in everyone elses room. And he can go outside whenever he wants so i dont understand. He knows its wrong because when i walk into a room he peed in he runs to hide cause he knows hes in trouble
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Mon Jun 20, '11 5:02pm PST 
Marking has nothing to do with being able to go outside via a dog door.

Its a territorial behavior.

You need to make sure to clean up all his spots with an enzymatic cleaner and keep him tethered to you (leashed) until he stops. Or close off those rooms altogether. They're not house training accidents, and it doesn't matter if after the fact he's punished. He's doing what he's doing on purpose, to claim the house so to speak. Very common if he thinks of himself as above other members of your family. I gather he does by several of your descriptions on his page, like when you talk about him not tolerating others to come around you.

Think about it. Canines in the wild will mark their territory to send a message, and its not usually a kind one. Typically it means I've been here, this is mine.

Once established marking in the house is a tough behavior to break. You need to be very dilligent in not allowing him opportunities to continue. And if I were you I'd also be trying to improve his relationship with the other members of the household.
[notify]
MattieMay

Agility Diva!

Barked: Mon Jun 20, '11 7:44pm PST 
Toby is spot on right! The long walk will make all the difference and then more frequent pit stops outdoors during the day. I have a female who likes to mark. She MUST have that long walk to mark until she is on empty (she still tries to mark after that, LOL). Watch for a favorite spot not too far from your house. When you go out for your pit stops (I started by going out every 90 minutes and now we can wait 3 hours) go right to that marking spot and treat him for marking there. Treats go a long way to imprinting on your dog's brain that pee belongs outside. If you treat him for all his outdoor pees he will begin to save up for outdoors to get his treats. You can use tiny bits of food (the amount does not count as it is the scent that really reward him). I sometimes use a tiny jar of peanut butter that fits in my pocket. A little dab on my finger is the treat.
[notify]
Rico Suave

I IS DA EVIL- LITTLE PILLOW- THIEF!

Barked: Tue Jun 21, '11 2:33am PST 
triggers got it right if your pup is protecting you from any and everything that has to be controlled and curbed to help with the marking. rico was like that as a pup forget about anyone even sitting next to me. with more trainined he learned his place in the rank that stopped and it helped with the marking as well. that is something you will have to work on that level of possesivness is not good pm me if you want to ask me anything I Owner trained rico into a Service dog and as a pup he had some of the same issues your talking about so i might be able to help ya
[notify]
Steele

The Guardian

Barked: Tue Jun 21, '11 7:26am PST 
I don't know... I always thought marking inside is a behavior that's hard to break b/c of the territorial issue (and not being about just having to pee).

But I've fostered several dogs, plenty of males and have never had an inside marking problem with any of them. I mean, I just treated it like a potty training issue. Caught them in the act, corrected with a "no" and immediately brought them outside. It's always worked.

Even with one in particular- Rohan. A chow mix, VERY high crazy energy, incredible prey drive (he would go for the kill, no playing around), this was a dog who had likely lived on the streets his whole life, no rules, nothing (his nails were also filed down very short as if he'd walked/run on pavement for a long time). He'd immediately rush out and dive under the fence to run loose any chance he got (before I finally got something to secure the fence). I mean this dog had no want to listen to anyone. His energy and character was so over the top, it caused big issues with Steele (a laid back dog). Won't go into that... but Rohan was HUGE on marking outside. Very first thing he did when I let him in the yard- he marked, marked, marked some more, RAN from place to place marking like crazy. And when he ran outta pee? He immediately pooped here, RAN to another spot, pooped there, RAN to another place, pooped again. I mean, he was FRANTIC in his marking. And this went on for as long as I had him, he'd mark like crazy outside every time, so much so, that Steele just stopped bothering to mark over him b/c he couldn't keep up. lol

I thought oh great, that's gonna be fun trying to break him of it in the house... Well, he marked a handful of times in the house, I corrected and brought him out each time and that was that. He never marked inside again. That was incredibly easy. lol

My current foster is a pug mix, Scooby. He marked inside a few times, always the same spot (a bag of dirt for gardening actually). Cleaned the spot really well and corrected him each time I caught him and he stopped.

So... I think marking inside can be treated as a potty training issue, simply teach them it's not acceptable and that marking is for outside. Though if it's an ingrained behavior and they've marked on 50 things for a long time, yea, it could be way harder to break. WAY harder, I don't doubt that. But... that's my idea anyway. dog
[notify]
Allee, Bama,- and Brodie- Bear!

Roll Tide- Roll!!! ;)

Barked: Tue Jun 21, '11 9:11am PST 
My boys use potty mats and have never hiked inside. They were both neutered young though. They just recently learned how to hike and mark outside though.
[notify]
Ginger

Barked: Tue Jun 21, '11 10:38am PST 
We have had male dogs before that did that. Some we were never able to break. That is why we no longer have, or ever will have, a male dog again. We have had female dogs for years and are much happier with them. Sorry, not trying to put down the good male dogs. Some are just plain stubborn.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3