GO!

What are some significant differences between rat terriers and jack russell terriers?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

Charlie

Charles-Playtime- is Anytime!!

Barked: Sat May 14, '11 8:48am PST 
I'm still trying to figure out the exact mix of my puppy, and I'm almost positive he's either a rat terrier mix or jack russell mix, but I find it sort of difficult to tell them apart. I know that rat terriers are smaller (he's 10 pounds and 5 months old), but that's the only difference I can think of. smile
[notify]
♥- Daisy- ♥

Once you get a- Jack you never- go back!

Barked: Sat May 14, '11 11:23am PST 
Your puppy is adorable smile One difference that I think of between a rat terrier and a JRT is that Rat terriers usually have erect ears (or ears the stand up) JRT's have semi-erect ears ( meaning that instead of sticking up all the way they stand up until you you get about half way up the ear, the top half falls over) bol, sorry I guess I could have explained that simpler. Daisy is a 5 year old JRT and she is 15 lbs, but good luck with figuring out the breed, hope I helped somewhat smile
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Fri May 20, '11 9:52pm PST 
Rat Terriers tend to be more legs than JRTs. This means they have longer legs and stand taller. Jacks can be leggy too, but they also often are bench legged. Bench Legged means they are long with short legs.

Both Jacks and Rat Terriers are normally predominately white. Black and white patterns are very common in Rat Terriers, not in Jacks. JRT's tend to be tri-colored red, white, and black like Wishbone. Both breeds can be either color. Ticking, little soft spots are common in Rat Terriers. Jacks only have ticks on the skin and not on the coat. Jack Russells can be wire coated, unlike the Rat Terrier. Rat Terriers all have sleek short coats.

Both breeds are hunting dogs. Jacks were bred to hunt foxes. Rat terriers are used for smaller game like rats and squirrels. Rat Terriers are a type of Feist. Feists are small dogs bred to tree small animals. The JRT is more of an earth dog who was bred to chase animals out of burrows.

Rat Terriers are an American Dog Breed. JRT's originate from England.
[notify]

Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Fri May 20, '11 10:42pm PST 
Milton nailed it, but I wanted to chime in that to me, RTs have a much more "refined" look than JRTs, meaning the RT is more slender, pointier face, pricked ears, longer legs. More resembles a Min Pin or a Deerhead-type Chihuahua. RTs are also known to be more biddable than JRTs. I tell people if they like the look of the JRT but think they sound too feisty, try a Rat Terrier or Toy Fox Terrier instead.
[notify]