GO!

Friendly, but 'Fraid?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Dublin Rose- O'Belle

Sugar Baby!

Barked: Sat Jan 29, '11 9:47am PST 
I have tried various things with my little dog Dubs. She is naturally shy and the vet says some dogs are just going to be that way. I have done all that I can to socialize her and she seems to do ok during walks in crowded areas. She likes people, but she remains afraid in some situations.

We had company in the house recently - she was ok with about half the people there but two of them really seemed to make her edgy. And when they would enter, she seemed to follow the lead of her big friendly sibs, except not to understand that they were greeting the newcomer happily - she would advance along with them growling and wagging at the same time. One of them was a small child and he jumped on a chair, squealing - at that she started darting and nipping though she didn't get hold of any flesh or clothes.

Has anybody dealt with anything like this? She is pretty obedient usually, but just seems overwhelmed in certain crowded situations.
[notify]
Kiley

mommy's little- angel

Barked: Fri Feb 11, '11 7:35am PST 
kiley gets overwhelmed in large crowds, she is a pretty shy girl. we started training classes with an awesome trainer who's worked with shy dogs and are working on training and socializing together!
[notify]
Nicky

World's Cutest- Leprechaun

Barked: Fri Feb 11, '11 8:04am PST 
Nicky has the same problem. Kids acting like kids sets him off like what happens with Dublin. If they're quiet and calm he has no problem with him. It seems quick and loud are difficult for him to deal with. It makes him nervous so he barks to try and make it go away. He has improved with training, but you have to go slow with it.
[notify]

Kiki

Cold Nose, Warm- Heart ♥

Barked: Sun Feb 13, '11 11:22am PST 
Kiki is similar to Dubs, she's never nipped but she'll just run and hide with her tail between her legs. We were thinking of going to a trainer with her but I am not sure what they'll do with her.. how will they curb this behavior? I dont know what to expect.
Thanks for asking the question Dubs, I am looking forward to seeing some more answers as well. If I end of going to a trainer we'll let you know how it goes.
What has been recommended to me, (Kiki's afraid of men mostly), is get men to hold her even if she's scared, she'll learn they dont want to hurt her and also get the men to give her treats. She's even taking treats out of her Daddy's hand now.
Good luck and keep us posted! ♥
[notify]
Halo

Howling good- times to be had- with me.

Barked: Mon Feb 14, '11 11:27am PST 
My hybrids, without fail, head for the hills (behind the sofa, under the bed, in the shower behind the curtain, etc..) when more than two strangers to them come into my house. I instruct my human guests to sit down and speak without raising their voices as if the wolves are not even in the house and, ignore them when they peek around doorways at the humans. After 15-20 minutes, the wolves will cautiously approach the new humans and sniff their feet and legs, still make the humans ignore them. Once the wolves are satisfied the human is not a threat they will look at the person's face - that's when the person should move slowly and gently stroke the wolf's cheek, not the top of their head or their chin as either is more threatening to the canines. Once the wolf is okay with that, then have at petting them, just don't hug them or, for children, tackle them.

Perhaps a similar tactic would work with your shy canine companions.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Mon Feb 14, '11 11:35am PST 
It has been a while since I posted this and there has been some improvement. Mostly, I just try to keep her away from the little shriekers as much as possible, but she is growing a little more friendly with people in general.

She definitely is getting some of this from me. I don't like the shrieking either, and she does respond negatively to people I don't care for much. I am just calling her over whenever it gets loud or hectic and she sits beside me and behaves.

She is the only shy dog I have had, so I have to learn as I go. My other dogs have all been life of the party types, in THEIR minds at least.
[notify]
Dublin Rose- O'Belle

Sugar Baby!

Barked: Mon Feb 14, '11 12:10pm PST 
oh, that was posted by Savvy accidently. It was really from Dubs!
[notify]
Halo

Howling good- times to be had- with me.

Barked: Tue Feb 15, '11 11:03am PST 
Wolfdogs in general are shy by nature so, not unusual for me and, no surprise in any dog. They are all descended from wild canines somewhere along the line so, occasionally those instincts will present themselves in any dog.

Lots of calm humans and patience will go a long way. Like you i do not do well with lots of noise or commotion myself so, if they can't behave well enough for me and my wolfies, then we just walk away or go to our room, or ask them to leave.
[notify]
Dublin Rose- O'Belle

Sugar Baby!

Barked: Tue Feb 15, '11 11:09am PST 
Ah, Halo! If it were up to me! Unfortunately, both I and Dubs need to work on our social behaviors.

I expect some early trauma to her, as she was a Humane Society puppy. I don't know what MY problem is!
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Tue Feb 15, '11 8:44pm PST 
Some people overwhelm dogs. The people who are over friendly are the most scary to shy dogs. Best to instruct your guests to ignore your dog and allow the dog to approach them on her own. Have your guests let your dog sniff their hands before they pet her. They should be calm and quiet. Dogs who are socialized will quietly sniff other dogs before playing or interacting with them. This is like a greeting and it's how they determine if the strange dog is cool.

My dog is very comfortable in public, he loves it. He was adopted from a big city dog pound listed as a stray. I think he grew up in the city and is use to different and lots of people.

One thing not to do is try to sooth your nervous dog, this can re-infoce the behavior. Dogs can over come shyness on their own if the dog guardian steps back and allows the dog too.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2