GO!

Joint supplement?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

Rocky

If you don't- claim it, it's- mine!

Barked: Mon Jan 17, '11 6:05pm PST 
So I was reading up on some issues that BT's are prone to and it seems besides allergies and breathing related issues (which I was aware of) luxating patella's are common. Now Rocky was hit by a car this past summer and I got to the vet asap (we were abroad) and had him re-checked as soon as we got into the states. Thankfully everything turned out fine but I do remember the emergency vet commenting on something regarding his knees but she said it was typical and nothing to worry about I didn't think to inquire more because I was still freaked out about the car thing and the fact that he had some blood in his urine. A couple of months ago he was holding up a hind leg out of the blue and I thought he had gotten hurt but didn't see how since he had been napping. I massaged it to check for any problems and stretched it and it seemed fine and nothing seemed out of plac ein comparison to his other leg. It returned to normal shortly after so I though it might have been a muscle spasm or something and didn't worry about it. It hasn't happened since as far as I've noticed but now I am concerned as I couldn't picture my dog ever being inactive. He came from a back yard breeder and so I don't really know his mom and dad's medical history. I did track them and this is their site: http://lazywkennel.com/pb/wp_3aa4e1cf/wp_3aa4e1cf.html and his dad is pictured under the sire's page as mighty maxx. His mom isn't on the site but I did email them and they sent me a picture of her. The point is that Rocky is a very agile dog and does a lot of running and jumping. Would adding a glucosamine supplement in addition to raw and his fish oil supplement hurt or should he be ok with raw. His usual vet has never commented about it and he's been in for 2 wellness exams since I got him and for other issues at the beginning plus his rabies more recently. I am not a big fan of supplements but we do the fish oil because he doesn't get much fish and he has a history of allergy and skin inflammations. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
[notify]
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Mon Jan 17, '11 9:11pm PST 
you know, I haven't seen any change one way or the other in tag for his LP. glucosamine is a suppliment that is not regulated for humans, let alone dogs. Fish oil is also not regulated, by the way. The big deal is the omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids that you get out of fish oil. If you have your dog on a properly balanced diet, he shouldn't need any supliments. The only vet that pushed the issue was from banfield, and it seems like they are paid to shove pills and suppliments. you can give it for a month or so. Glucosamine is supposedly one of those ones that has to build up, so you have to give it regularly and consistantly . There shouldn't be anything wrong with giving it, I just don't happen to think it does any good

LP is either hereditary, meaning the groove that the kneecap rides in is too shallow to keep it in place, or caused by injury. In the end only surgery can correct it, but it can be managed. don't let your dog jump higher than its body. if you let dogs on the furniture, or in the car, have a ramp or stairsteps for him. low impact excersize like swimming can help strengthen the muscles without putting too much stress on the knees. BTs will need a lifejacket, because they have a bouyancy problem. Set the dog down, don't let it jump out of your arms.
[notify]
Rocky

If you don't- claim it, it's- mine!

Barked: Tue Jan 18, '11 8:05am PST 
Thank you. I was concerned because he sprints and pounces alot and we will be starting agility soon. I actually mistakenly posted this in the small dog when I wanted to put it in raw because I was concerned about a lack in the raw diet but the small dog forum worked fine as he is a small dog too and this is a common small dog issue. He isn't allowed on furniture unless asked to come up so that's not a major issue as most times I just pick him up for snuggle time or put him down so he's not jumping on or off things in the house but outdoors it's a different situation. Mostly around grass areas but there are rocks and some paved park road. Again thx
[notify]