GO!

Harness ?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Luka

Barked: Wed Dec 29, '10 11:52am PST 
I just posted this in response to "What's wrong with this picture"...

I started out with Luka on a harness (because of trachea issues, etc) and my trainer told me she preferred no harnesses in training class, so I got her a collar, and have used it in training classes and on walks. She doesn't pull, and hasn't "choked" with it.

She is about 10 lbs. Should I only be using a harness?
[notify]
❤ Sadie- ❤

Miss Sadie the- Trouble Maker

Barked: Wed Dec 29, '10 12:18pm PST 
I have the same question too. Oakley walks by my side most of the time and never chokes herslef so she just walks on a collar, but Sadie is the total opposite and pulls like no other so she is on a harness. I am curious as to whatp people say
[notify]
Sasha

Miss Diva to- you!!

Barked: Wed Dec 29, '10 12:27pm PST 
Sasha only has a collar because she NEVER pulls and ALWAYS walks right beside of me, half the time she never even has a leash on because she stays right with momma laugh out loud Gizmo & E(well I have no idea how she is going to walk but she has a harness just in case) have harnesses because they pull. I see no point in buying Sasha a harness because she doesn't need one shrug
I see no problem as long as they arent pulling, as long as you are comfortable with it blue dog
[notify]

Todd

Get to close and- I just might- kiss you

Barked: Wed Dec 29, '10 12:42pm PST 
I think a harness has more to do with the tiny breeds that have trachea issues. I had a cocker and always used a collar.
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Wed Dec 29, '10 1:39pm PST 
I think if they do have trachea problems then, yes a harness needs to be used. I had to use a flat buckle collar on Nicky in training class and he did real well on it and that was before I really started heel work with him. He only had problems once in class. I put a second collar on to attach the leash to and made sure it fit right up under his chin.
[notify]
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Wed Dec 29, '10 2:55pm PST 
Any reading I have done about Chihuahua care is very specific about them needing harnesses. I have no idea about other breeds.smile Princesse wears a collar for her tags, but on walks, she wears her harness. I would rather be safe than sorry. The Chi in my post was tied to a chain by a collar which did *not* look safe to me.Perhaps a leash would have been a different story.thinking
[notify]
Bingley,- Emmett &- Martika

Little Ewoks

Barked: Wed Dec 29, '10 4:51pm PST 
Everything I've read about dog's with trachea problems is that they need to wear a harness, even if they don't typically pull on a walk, because a situation might arise that might make them pull. The nice receptionist at the vet said her dog normally doesn't pull, but suddenly wanted to chase a squirrel, and it passed out after it's sudden tug, she was so scared that she lost him... he came to and was ok, but she's been very careful about him wearing a harness since then.

Bingley isn't typically a puller, but I keep him in one because he chokes easy, and Emmett is horrible with his gagging, so he wears a harness, too.
[notify]
Stormy Puppy- (Found a- home!)

Barked: Wed Dec 29, '10 6:22pm PST 
If your dog is a breed prone to trachea problems I'd probably use a harness just in case, whether they pull or not.
[notify]
Murph

Barked: Thu Dec 30, '10 9:43am PST 
My pup loves his Buddy Belt. It was pricey, but it works so well. We got it at Muttropolis.com. They have a bunch of cute colors.
[notify]
Hazel Louise

Therapy Dog- Greatness!

Barked: Thu Dec 30, '10 12:46pm PST 
One of my Cavs, Stella, the older blenheim, walks perfectly on a leash, but Hazel, my young black & tan, pulls somewhat. I also walk them together alot with a coupler, so I use harnesses more than just their collars. I, too, love their Buddy Belts! But they're so expensive that they only have 1 each. They also have some other non-choking harnesses that I love. One is called the Scrappy Pet harness that is a "knock-off" of the Buddy Belt. It's made from scrap, recycled leather and is a lot cheaper than the Buddy Belt. They have 2 each of these. Doggie Design makes a mesh ultra harness that's non-choking and we have 3 each of these in various colors, LOL....we are "collar/harness" crazy here!

Edited by author Thu Dec 30, '10 12:47pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2