GO!

Teacup Yorkie

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Adrienne

Red Girl

Barked: Sun Dec 5, '10 6:49pm PST 
Is a teacup Yorkie a different breed than the regular Yorkshire Terrier, or is it just a variety? My mom just bought a Teacup Yorkie for $4900!!! shock

Edited by author Thu Dec 16, '10 7:05am PST

[notify]
S

In Loving Memory

Barked: Sun Dec 5, '10 7:16pm PST 
There's no such thing as a tea cup yorkie/anything. Usually tea cup dogs are sickly runts or they are regular yorkie/chihuahua/pom/whatever with the "tea cup" label to make them seem more exotic so back yard breeders can charge crazy prices for them.

Edited by author Sun Dec 5, '10 7:17pm PST

[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 5:59pm PST 
Teacup is a fancy term questionable breeders use to describe runts being bred to make smaller dogs. Any reputable breeder will tell you there is no such thing as a teacup.
[notify]

Ava, NTD

Miss Ava Roo

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 6:06pm PST 
Teacups are only bred by crappy breeders. Its a term that they use to sell tiny dogs that will fit in teacups and people think its cute - but the little dogs are actually the result of runts being bred with runts. Usually they're so genetically gimped that they're a walking vet bill and I've always heard that they die at a younger age because they're so unhealthy.

In short, they're bad. And anyone who "breeds" them is bad and should be avoided.
[notify]
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 6:12pm PST 
Your mom could have had a well bred Yorkie from a reputable breeder for about 3,900 dollars lesscry The other posters are right , there is no such thing as a "teacup" of any breed. It's just a cute name for a very tiny dog. Princesse is 5.4 pounds, just a shade below the upper standard of 6 pounds for her breed. I find that is quite small enough. She is not a well bred Chi , and I have just been very lucky with her healthwise so far *knock on wood*
[notify]
Ch. "Dancer"

All Pyr From- Pasture to- Showring!

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 6:16pm PST 
Sorry your mom was taken by an unscrupulous breeder...I hope her dog lives a long & healthy life.confused
[notify]
Ginger- M.I.A.

my first and- finest

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 6:50pm PST 
Well, she might have got suckered, (well, at that price, she DID get suckered) but it doesn't necessarily mean that the dog is a runt. Many people are unaware of how small STANDARD Yorkies are supposed to be. The AKC says that their weight MUST NOT EXCEED SEVEN POUNDS. That's pretty small to start with, and even a normal Yorkie puppy will fit in a teacup at some point early in it's life.

I think most "Teacup" Yorkies, Poms, Chis, etc are actually standard-sized, and many breeders are making oversized ones that make the standard seem small.
[notify]
Penny Mouse- Fart Ayala

I eat, therefore- I am.....

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 6:53pm PST 
Penny sais the only teacups are in the kitchen cabinets!!! LOL!!!laugh out loud
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 7:01pm PST 
This is a fascinating (and sad) link about teacup dogs.

The Sad Truth About "Teacup Dogs"

Here's hoping the pup lives a long, healthy life.
[notify]
Sonny

the world's- first blond,- agility Beagle

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 8:08pm PST 
I'll comment more on the price than the 'teacup' thing - the rest of you covered that well enough.....

A friend of our's spent Thanksgiving day with our family. She mentioned her Mom's beloved dog that she bought for her for $175., on sale, the price had been $3,000. Bought the puppy at some mall in Atlanta.

She thought it was a great bargain!

I told her she paid exactly what the dog was worth. A $3,000 dog would have to have a show pedigree or be very rare breed. A mixed breed doesn't cost $3,000!
I briefly touched on the puppy mill subject, as I thought she knew better.
To quote P.T. Barnum....There's a sucker born every minute..
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2