GO!

House Training

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Sun Dec 5, '10 11:14am PST 
I have 2 poms and a pug/poodle all house trained. It's not the dog or the breed it's the owner.
[notify]
Terra

Bonzaiiiiiiii!!!- !!!

Barked: Sun Dec 5, '10 5:14pm PST 
I think it's a combo of both the dog and the owner. A friend of ours adopted a Chi puppy and were having a heck of a time getting him housetrained.

They started to see a pattern in his accidents, and accepted that they had given him too much freedom of the house. That said, they rectified the issue and limited his house access, and worked on litter training him. They have a large dog who uses the doggy door, but Rolex, their Chi, just couldn't make it outside unless he was right next to the door.

So, they placed several litter boxes around the house, and re-trained him to the litter boxes. Now, they have no issues.

My mother in law has a Toy Rat Terrier, and he was a breeze, but was still given access to too much of the house at the beginning. Each dog is different, and so are the owners.
[notify]
ralph

Barked: Sun Dec 5, '10 5:46pm PST 
hate to sound inconsiderate, but it's typically the human's fault. going to the bathroom in the house is a learned behavior as is going outside. it takes a lot of work to housebreak a dog. my jack is 5 months old and not housebroken. i'm the only one to blame for it.
[notify]

Bingley,- Emmett &- Martika

Little Ewoks

Barked: Sun Dec 5, '10 8:30pm PST 
Its not the size of the dog, its the inconsistancy of the person training the dog. Sure, some dogs may be slower to learn, but in the end its usually the humans fault if they never learn; and that goes for dogs of any size.
My boys are both very well trained. Bingley is 2 and Emmett is 8 months old. And I know lots of people with house broken small dogs... or I should say everyone I know that owns a small dog has them house broken smile
[notify]
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 3:33am PST 
I agree with the posters who said limiting the house access helps with small dogs. I found this helped alot with Princesse. I obviously don't agree with the not using puppy pads, since Princesse's litter box is lined with them. I do see how just using them on the floor could confuse the dog. Using the puppy pads in the litter box works for ussmile
[notify]
Bella

I'm big in- Japan.

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 10:32am PST 
Bella resents this generalization. She was housetrained in a 24 hour span, and hasn't had an accident since. We took her out every two hours and continued doing so until she got older.

My shih tzu took a lot longer because there wasn't always someone home with him, so it was a bit tougher to establish a perfect schedule, but he was completely accident free 4 weeks after he came home.
[notify]
Scout

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 2:08pm PST 
Hmmm..I tend to agree, simply because I've owned both. Scout wasn't as difficult to train but with Bruno, my pug, I had to take extra steps.

The training wasn't much different, and really not much of a hassle either- I simply bought Simple Solution's training pads and I was set.

Whereas Scout was ready to go outside consistently, Bruno used his pads for a while. Come to think of it, I still keep them around because he gets nervous with company.
[notify]
Paris

support the- rabid

Barked: Tue Dec 7, '10 4:52pm PST 
Paris had a lot of accidents when we first got her. Mainly because she wasn't taken out often enough. I payed attention to the time frame between accidents and figured out she needed to go out every 3-4 hours. In the evening, she'll sneak upstairs and that usually means I have to go! So if we miss her doing that there's going to be something left for us to find. She does really good now. She still has occasional accidents but we take the blame for those.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2