GO!

Willed two dogs HELP

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Morgana

THROW THE BALL- THROW THE BALL

Barked: Tue Oct 12, '10 9:38am PST 
The neighbor who I walk dogs for put in his will that I get his 2 dogs when he passes. I am the only person he knows that walks them feeds them and plays with them.

Thing is this neighbor is on his way. He is in heart failure now, he is elderly ect. His one dog will have to be euthanized as it has to take prednisone and some other cortisone steriod. I cant afford that. The other dogs is nervous

Plus I have 2 dogs already and kinda wanted my next dogs to be large breed. I cant tell him I dont want his dogs, and I cant really rehome the one. I dont know what I am going to do
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Tue Oct 12, '10 10:06am PST 
Your neighbor is totally out of line in willing you dogs without your consent, let alone speaking to you about it at all. Ultimately their fate is on him, and he is being incredibly irresponsible.

You don't have to say that you don't want his dogs. After all, you do care for them and I would bet that with unlimited money and space, you would be happy to have them. What he needs to know is that you do not have unlimited money and space!

Think about what you want to say, and have a direct, to-the-point talk with him. It may be that he truly has no one else, and would prefer his sickly and fearful dogs be euthanized in your arms than passed around between family and neighbors until someone dumps them in a shelter where they sit for 2 months being ignored for younger dogs until they're euthanized there. It's horrible to think about, but that type of thing happens all the time.

There are likely dozens of ways to avoid that situation, though. Look for other people who may be able to take one or both of them. Look into rescues. If money is the big issue, look into setting up an account for the care of his dogs.
[notify]
Eponine

Love- unconditionally.

Barked: Tue Oct 12, '10 1:28pm PST 
Where are you? There are specific rescue services dedicated to taking on pets of people who die and don't have anyone to leave them to!

You can also ask any rescue that has a foster program. Get in touch with someone who is involved with rescue locally, they may have resources!

Sounds a right crummy situation, but bless you for helping this man place his dogs. Luck!

Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Wed Oct 13, '10 9:42am PST 
That's a sad situation. Do you have contact with any family members? Is it possible somebody in his family would be able to care for them?

If the healthier dog is a small young dog, the good news is rescues are more likely to take that one. The small ones take up less space. I found a small dog and he was taken by a human society right away. They kept him in the grooming/ food preparation area and not in the full kennels.

Start contacting all the area rescue groups and shelters. Some may allow you to foster the dogs, while providing the food and vet care. I have never been in your situation but have found dogs and cats I could not afford to care for. A local Humane Society was a big help.
[notify]
Morgana

Barked: Wed Oct 13, '10 10:03am PST 
All of this mans family lives across the country. They are NOT dog people, either. Bandit would most likely be euthanized if she went to a rescue just because of how nervous she is. And Conrad would be euthanized because of age and his addisons.

Bandit is a 4lb yorkie poodle chihuahua cross. She is 4 years old
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Wed Oct 13, '10 10:21am PST 
Rescues and shelters are not the same - a rescue can typically give a dog a home until it can be placed with a new owner. If the dog isn't human aggressive, there's no reason why it can't be rehomed way to go. Many rescues can also work on behavior problems while the dog is in their care; and most screen potential owners to be a decent match for the dog.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Wed Oct 13, '10 11:20am PST 
Some shelters are no kill or low kill. The humane society I placed the small dog in was no-kill. They have a shelter and foster homes. Animal Control where I live now, is low kill. Nervous behaviors do not make dogs un-adoptable, unless they bite. A four pound dog is adoptable because people who live in condos or apartments want these dogs. They are more adoptable than larger dogs, especially in urban areas.

I think there's a good chance of placing the healthy dog in a rescue or good shelter. Google dog rescue and humane society with your area in the search. Call everyone soon as possible.

Another way to find rescues, is to search on petfinder. just type in your zip code and see what dogs pop up. The rescues should have contact numbers or websites.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Wed Oct 13, '10 4:44pm PST 
Bandit would most likely be euthanized if she went to a rescue just because of how nervous she is. And Conrad would be euthanized because of age and his addisons.

Bandit is a 4lb yorkie poodle chihuahua cross. She is 4 years old.

The rescue I'm with has rehabilitated a number of extremely nervous dogs, just in the year and half I've been with them, and adopted them into suitable homes. Conrad, I don't have a good sense of how sick he really is, but we've also adopted out dogs with ongoing medical conditions to people who were able to provide the treatment they needed.
[notify]
Rondo

Puppy Prodigy

Barked: Wed Oct 13, '10 5:48pm PST 
hug What a tough situation. Once I inherited a family member's pet, a severely aggressive Chow Chow. I was in graduate school, had 2 dogs already, renting, and there was NO WAY I could take in a 9 year old dog with such horrible people AND dog issues. I called the breeder who was more than happy to take Dixie back. They ended up keeping her themselves and rehabilitating her. It was truly beyond what I could handle, so I was totally thankful that she was from a responsible breeder.

I would try to call to some rescues regardless of your current analysis. You may get lucky and find people truly willing to help with this tough situation. It's worth a shot, right?
Morgana

Barked: Wed Oct 13, '10 6:18pm PST 
I have contacted alot of rescues for her already. A few have done assesments on her, and so far the outcome has been that she is NOT adoptable. I mean I didnt think Morgana was pet material and considered euthanizing her and Bandit is worse then Morgana ever was
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2