GO!

Harnesses?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 2 of 5: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Maxwell Smart

The dog park toy- thief!

Barked: Sat Aug 14, '10 9:35pm PST 
We use a collar because Max is still being trained on how to walk. Putting him in a harness only allows him to pull MORE and he already pulls WAY TOO MUCH.

He does choke himself a lot but until he learns to stop pulling, he will be in a collar. Also, our trainer requires dogs to wear a collar.
[notify]
The Hounds- of- Bassetville- +3

Food? Where?!?

Barked: Sun Aug 15, '10 12:16am PST 
With Copper and Bailey we use a harness. For some reason the pressure of the collar makes them choke and we decided it better to just use harnesses!

With the Bassets we use collars. Harnesses give them much more power and makes it more difficult to control them. They are all leash trained, but they still pull when they see something like a squirrel.

So harnesses for the littles, collars for the bigs!
[notify]
Mickeyfinn

PET ME , LOVE- ME ..give me a- treat !

Barked: Sun Aug 15, '10 12:56am PST 
Mom has had a harness for me for car trips since I came home from the SPCA in 2007. Now We walk with me on harness all the time.

I like it much better then being tugged by the neck but im not a puller so I never did get much tugging on my neck.

Mom feels its safer anyhow. So its in my harness when we go for walkies ... Good thing I like it.

I have two harness's one to match each of my collars. My Mom walks me on a FLEXI retractable lead so my leash seldom matchs my collar and harness.But who cares about making fashion statements LOL big grin
[notify]

Roxie

I'm a princess!

Barked: Sun Aug 15, '10 7:25am PST 
Yes, we use a harness on Roxie. I was using her collar at first (never had a dog before, didn't know better), and she used to make this terrible gagging/snorting noise when we would walk. After reading about collapsing trachea somewhere on the web, I immediately switched to a harness. She stopped making that terrible noise, and I feel I have more control over her with the harness.
[notify]
Bubba

Bubba-likes naps

Barked: Sun Aug 15, '10 7:59am PST 
All three of our dogs use harnesses: Bandit, a Brittany, Daisy, a Yorkie, and Bubba. For the first two, I think they are more comfortable and it stops the pulling. Bubba is more comfortable too, but I have found with his little round head, he can pull right out of his collar. I harness is much safer for him.
[notify]
Rickards

I'll always love- you...

Barked: Sun Aug 15, '10 11:40am PST 
Both of my dogs wear harnesses when we go for walks. They do have collars for tags though.
I can't stress enough how important it is to use harnesses on toy breeds. Rickards past owner obviously had no clue what she was doing with him. She tied him out on a leash attached to a collar in her front yard. Even when I met him he pulled on that thing. Well because of that, he has a severe collapsed trachea. His life is greatly restricted as well as his diet. He has breathing fits all the time and cannot walk for more than five minutes without needing a break. Its no life for a dog. And if you can decrease the chances of them getting a collapsed trachea by putting a harness on them, its worth it. You don't want to go through what we're going through with Rickards.

-edited for spelling -

Edited by author Sun Aug 15, '10 11:43am PST

[notify]
Rondo

Puppy Prodigy

Barked: Sun Aug 15, '10 11:48am PST 
My dogs wear harnesses for sure! We order ours from Hug a Dog. I absolutely love the products, they are sewn to order and fit perfectly. THey wear well and are super-cute on top of it all! I will be using them as long as they are in business!
Nicky

World's Cutest- Leprechaun

Barked: Sun Aug 15, '10 12:22pm PST 
Nicky has a regular harness and an Easy Walk for walks. Paris has a "step in" harness that clips at the shoulder blades that she wears most of the time, but she also has a soft harness.
[notify]
Daisy

Mommy's little- princess

Barked: Sun Aug 15, '10 12:34pm PST 
I dont use harnesses they are great for some dogs especially those smoosh face dogs that have alot of breathing problems to begin with. I find it teaches them to pull though. http://www.renspets.com/index.php/browse/category/id/58cm
This is kind of like what I use only not as fancy. I like it alot. Its great for teaching dogs how to walk properly ie beside or behind you. Since getting this from the dog trainer I had help me I would not use anything else.
[notify]
♥- Daisy- ♥

Once you get a- Jack you never- go back!

Barked: Sun Aug 15, '10 1:01pm PST 
Daisy has a harness and wears it sometimes, but she isn't a toy breed, and she isn't a puller. She doesn't particularly like the harness either. But if I were to get a toy breed I would only use harnesses. (for the toy breed. not my terrier or sporting dog)
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 5: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5