GO!

Shedding

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Shya

Barked: Fri Dec 20, '13 2:08pm PST 
I've read lots of things on the internet that I should keep my Husky brushed weekly. However, I have to brush her daily. This is becoming very time consuming, not only for me, but also for Shya. Should I feed her something different? Is there something I can do to keep the shedding to a minimum? Help! dog walk
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sat Dec 21, '13 8:19am PST 
You're probably blowing coat.Huskies normally do this twice a year (Can you pull tuffs of hair out?) If so, once it is completely shed, you won't have to brush so often.

I was blowing coat too, hair everywhere. My person took me to a groomer to be water boarded (bathed)and groomed. She got the furminator treatment.

big laugh when she picked me up the groomer had my hair stuck all over her, it was even in her hair big laugh but I am no longer a hair factory at home.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Sun Dec 22, '13 4:44am PST 
Sounds like a coat blow to me. To be sure, how long has it been going on? It takes my guys about 2 months to fully blow their coat, from the time I first notice fur tufting around their knees, to the time I can brush out their neck and be done with it. Every single time I brush it's a full garbage can of fur, even if I only get one thigh done.

What sort of brush are you using? That can make all the difference in the world! Most Huskies do best with a nice wide-tooth comb or coat rake. I find Furminators and Four Paws shedding blades (only brand I like) work well and are often better tolerated by the dog, but they do tend to break fur and damage the coat.

A good bath is vital, too. It removes the skin oils and dirt that build up and make the fur more difficult to brush out. The key is making sure the dog is thoroughly wet and soapy, down to their skin. Sounds obvious, but it's really difficult to get water through a Husky coat - they're made to keep the weather out. If you feel really handy, invest in a forced air drier and blow the fur out.

Then if I bathe too early, I'll have to do it again later, to get all the fur that hadn't fallen out yet... Sometimes I just bathe twice because it does take so long...

I wouldn't worry about nutrition or illness unless this has been going on a long time, the fur quality is poor (dry, brittle, flaky, etc), or the fur is not growing back. Good food will create better coat quality, and I'm always a fan of switching things up, but it's not going to stop shedding entirely.
[notify]

Shya

Barked: Sun Dec 22, '13 11:02am PST 
Thank you both so much! It's been going on for about a month I think. Her fur comes out in white clumps. The fur seems to grow back over night, so that is not the problem. She is my first husky and I was worried that the bad shedding was lasting so long. She just turned a year old and I hadn't paid it much attention before now. Shya sleeps in my bed and I wake up with hair at my face and she sleeps at my feet! I'll try giving her a bath and purchasing a new brush to see if that helps. Thank you both! smile
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Mon Dec 23, '13 1:32pm PST 
If she just turned a year, she's right on time to be blowing her puppy coat to let the adult coat come in. It is, in my experience, even worse than an adult blowing their coat.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Tue Dec 31, '13 4:02am PST 
BOL, many huskies feel they will die if they get wet. laugh out loud If you wait until you can pull clumps of hair just about everywhere and then get a professional grooming and pay for the extra shedding treatment, it will get a lot of the hair out. (You do have to wait until it is all loose or it will be back the following day)

If you decide to bathe at your home be prepared for howling, screaming, trying to jump out of the tub....don't worry, your dog will be fine it's just a Husky thing.

Good luck from one abominable hairball to another.dog walk
[notify]
☆ Lacy

If it is mine,- it must never be- yours.

Barked: Fri Jan 3, '14 5:45pm PST 
Welcome to being a Husky owner! It seems that I am combing Lacy every other day all year long. She usually blows her coat over a period of two months, actually she is starting to blow her coat right now. Darn, is it already that time again laugh out loud
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Sun Jan 5, '14 1:32pm PST 
Haha! The world of huskies! BoL!!
Sounds like a blowout for sure!!!
Give it another month or so and the shedding won't be as bad. During this time tho, Yea, you will have to brush a lot more often.
[notify]