GO!

Separation Anxiety

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Tallis

Named after the- Early English- composer

Barked: Wed Apr 10, '13 11:50am PST 
My three month old Siberian husky seems to have bad separation anxiety. I know he is still a baby, but I am trying to nip it in the butt early.

When I first got Tallis I was not in a place where he could come and stay with me right away, so my parents we nice enough to let him stay with them and their two other dogs for 2 weeks before I moved into my new place. So for two weeks he was always with two other dogs, so he was never really "alone" even when he was in the crate. Then when he came to stay with me, he was great for the first week. Not destructive, I could leave him in the kitchen for an hour or two when I was gone and he would be fine, but in the past few days he got destructive. While my roommate and I were outside for ten minutes we came back to an eaten couch. So since then I have been keeping him in his crate when no one is around.

When he first goes in he is fine, he walks in on his own and doesnt whine, even when the door goes down he starts whining and barking. Today when I was gone for 2 hours I recorded him and he whined and barked the entire time. And when I came home he went nuts and wouldn't leave my side.

I guess I just need some advice, I always tire him out before crate time. And we go one multiple walks a day. He isn't my first dog, but he is my first husky. Thank you to who ever replies!!
[notify]
Tallis

Barked: Wed Apr 10, '13 6:37pm PST 
If someone replied I can't see it frown
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Thu Apr 11, '13 5:58am PST 
Well first let me say he is a very beautiful pup!

Welcome to the world of Huskies. welcome BOL!!!!
I can't even tell you the amount of you tube video's etc i have seen of Huskies who have been video taped while left alone..........tearing apart the couch it always seems. I have 2 Huskies, the youngest is about 7 months now or so....when we first got her she was fine being left in our bedroom while we weren't home for 2 whole month....no problems. All the sudden we came home to a tore apart bedroom....bed sheets and the works, then the next day....same thing, so I bought a crate! Best thing I ever did! Anyways, how long have you had him at your house so far? I am thinking probably not very long right? The pup is young as you said and will need an adjustment period.....first being away from his mom and siblings.....then going to your moms with 2 other dogs....now once again, a whole new place, with nobody but you, the pup is probably very confused and somewhat lonely right now and needs time. However a whining pup in a crate can be upsetting also, not just to you but neighbors etc. So have you "crate trained"? Meaning made the crate a safe happy place for him? Safe toys to chew like a kong or nylabone? something that he can't choke on while alone. Comfy bed? You say you exercise him lots which is great....Huskies have very high energy and do need lots of exercise. Make sure he goes to the bathroom before putting him in. Maybe try leaving the t.v or a radio on while he is in the crate so it's not so quiet? Make sure the toys you leave will keep him entertained. Like if you choose a kong, put peanut butter in it and that keeps them busy for a while and will hopefully just nap when they have licked out the center of the kong.
Crates have to be a happy place for dogs. Leave the door open in the crate while you are home so he can go in and out as he pleases, scatter treats in it to give incentive to want in there, when you put him in make sure and give a few treats. Do not let him out when he whines. When you come home ask him to sit (if he knows that command) before opening the door, do this every time that way he is not so crazy when you let him out, and when he does sit, open door give treat.
Well that was a lot of info so I will leave you with that and hope it helps a bit, I know it is frustrating!
[notify]

Tallis

Barked: Thu Apr 11, '13 6:31am PST 
First off thank you so much. I love my lil boy so much.

And I did crate train, like with the treats and making his crate a safe happy place. I never put him for punishment or anything like that, when I first got him I spent that whole week working on the crate with him. And it was not until he came here with my two roommates and I that he started whining when I left. And One of my roommates works nights so having him whine for two hours or more is bad for him :/. And he has a few of those food dispensing toys and his kongs filled with treats in peanut butter. And I always leave the TV on. Thank you so much for all the advice. I got him some low dose meletonin, to help calm him down. So I hope with that and the toys he will be a bit better today. And him being a maniac in the kennel is so weird because he is so calm and chill otherwise!
[notify]