GO!

Siberian? Alaskan? Husky? Malamute?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Jubilee

Littlest Lee- Lee

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 6:38am PST 
Sometimes these breeds look similar. Is there any way for an amateur dogster to tell the difference just by looking at them?
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 1:17pm PST 
They say a Malamute should only have dark eyes, not the blue and or bi eyed that a sibe can have and malamutes tend to be bigger and their ears are set a bit further down their head then a sibe.....there aren't really any others i can think of to set those 2 apart anyways, maybe someone else knows?
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 8:57pm PST 
A Malamute is a lot bigger then a Husky and they never have blue eyes. There is a dogster who has a Husky and Malamute. In pictures their Malamute looks twice as big as the husky. If I can find their profile, I will post it.
[notify]

Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 10:45pm PST 
Malamutes are huge, blocky dogs with rounded features. Huskies are small, lightly boned dogs with pointed features. HUGE difference - just start looking at photos of purebreds. You can even tell the puppies apart.

Alaskans don't look like anything in particular.

Since we're talking about Dogster, when in doubt, check the dog's profile.

ETA: Malamutes shouldn't have blue eyes, but some do. They'd be disqualified if they entered a show ring, is all.

Edited by author Fri Dec 7, '12 10:46pm PST

[notify]