GO!

House breaking

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Maggie

Barked: Tue Feb 21, '12 9:39pm PST 
Hello! I'm looking for some advice! I have a couple Huskies, I got my male first and was able to get him house broken really quick, now my girl whom is 11 months is still not house broken! I have done everything! I have used that spray they sell, I have put her on a crate and she pees in it and poops. I take her out constantly and she does her business outside sometimes but most of the time she just waits until we come back home and pees and poops inside. She is fixed already. This is very frustrating, have any of you had this problem with your huskies? Some times I feel like she may be, if possible on dogs, developmentally delayed, I know that sounds weird, but the way she acts is so not normal. Huskies are really smart, and when I compare her to My other one she just doesn't seem right. I love her, she is really sweet but just different. Any advice on how to finally get her house broken and if you guys think that a dog could be delayed?
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Tue Feb 28, '12 11:31am PST 
Dogs are not typically developmentally disabled unless there was a problem with the pregnancy, birth, or first weeks of life. Something like the bitch not receiving proper nutrition during the pregnancy, the puppy getting stuck in the birth canal and deprived of oxygen, or being otherwise injured/neglected early on.

The problems you're having are all fairly typical. Just because most Huskies are fastidious does not mean they all will be. You have one who isn't - and she's smart enough to figure out that once you return from outside, you'll let her free to go to the bathroom where ever she pleases. That's one of your biggest issues. Dogs who are not potty trained should not be unsupervised in the house, at all. They must earn every bit of their freedom. For many dogs, tethering (staying on leash with you) is a great option that stops them from sneaking off to go.

Coupled with that, you -have- to make sure she goes outside. Yeah, you're going to have to wait for a long time at first. Once she does go, reward her heavily.

Put her on a food/drink schedule, so you know when she will need to go. Since she never has held it, she still needs to learn how, so make trips out frequent.

When she does have an accident, clean up with an enzymatic cleaner (Nature's Miracle is popular). You have to use something that will break down the smell, because dogs like to go where they've gone before. Never use vinegar or ammonia products. Similarly, putting the poop and pee-soaked rags outside will encourage her to go outside.

As to her crate - make sure it's not big enough for her to potty and then avoid lying in it. If she's using beds or blankets to bury the mess and avoid it, remove them.

It's going to take time and work. FWIW, I've never known an anti-pee spray to work. Spaying has no effect on house training either, although it can cause set backs with spay incontinence - dogs with incontinence do not know they're urinating, though. It's all about training and time.

I would also bring a clean urine sample to the vet for testing, just to be certain this is not a health problem. Dogs with UTIs or problems that cause increased thirst can appear un-house trained when it's really their health that is to blame. But if this has been going on from day one with both poop and pee, it really sounds more behavioral.
[notify]
Luna Tuna Coyote

Luuuuuuna- Tuuuuuuna

Barked: Thu Mar 1, '12 4:47pm PST 
I have 3 husky pups and 1 husky adult. The 3 pups are almost 1 1/2 years old and still not 100% housetrained. They know I dislike it very much when they potty inside. But if I'm not keeping an eye on them, they try doing whatever they want. Huskies and their intelligence...oh boy!

The best way I found to help them understand was interrupting them in mid-pee/poo and guide or carry them right outside. Try getting overly excited after she does go potty outside and give a yummy treat. Mine have learned that only after doing both #1 & #2 and coming back inside they get treats. Then I let them right back out to play. Now they rush to get the treats faster. lol
[notify]

Luna

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '12 5:18pm PST 
I have a 15 week old husky pup and i have found it very hard to house breaking her. At my house she has few accidents and sometimes if we're on our way to going outside she can't hold it and will pee in front of the door. at my bf's house she doesn't get the concept sometimes.. I find it very useful though as soon as she wakes up from a nap i take her outside. I reward her heavily by getting excited and a lot of petting while she's peeing/pooping. and she gets the idea. She knows what going potty and outside means. Sometimes it takes more time to housebreak dogs than others.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 4:26am PST 
Hello. My boyfriend and I just got a female 4 month old husky. She has never been walked outside before and we finally walked her just yesterday. She was skeptical of the leash and how to walk on it. Today she has done such a better job. The problem we are experiencing is that she doesn't want to pee outside anywhere. We are currently living in a city with limited grass could that be a reason? Maybe she's more distracted on whats going on around her outside to think about peeing? She sniffs around the whole walk but doesn't seem to want to use the bathroom. She comes back inside and goes right on the wee pad. Why won't she use the bathroom outside? Plus any other house training tips would help smile
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 4:28am PST 
Hello. My boyfriend and I just got a female 4 month old husky. She has never been walked outside before and we finally walked her just yesterday. She was skeptical of the leash and how to walk on it. Today she has done such a better job. The problem we are experiencing is that she doesn't want to pee outside anywhere. We are currently living in a city with limited grass could that be a reason? Maybe she's more distracted on whats going on around her outside to think about peeing? She sniffs around the whole walk but doesn't seem to want to use the bathroom. She comes back inside and goes right on the wee pad. Why won't she use the bathroom outside? Plus any other house training tips would help smile
[notify]
Loki

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '12 12:09am PST 
My Wife and I have had Loki for about a week now. He's currently 9 weeks old and we've been trying to house break him since day 1. I find that it's easiest when you monitor their eating and potty patterns.

For example:

We feed him regularly three times a day. The first couple of days we had him, we really had to just watch his habits to see what kinds of behaviors he would present when he needs to pee/poop. I found that he needed to go after waking up or after excessive playing and/or getting excited. So I would anticipate his need to go then take him out and wait for him to potty then reward him for having gone outside. The FEW times he has gone inside, I've managed to catch him midway and carry him outside.

So it's literally been one week since we got him and he knows that when he needs to go, I will let him out. The problem I have - He will just quietly sit by the door and wait for me to let him out. If I do not, he feels it's okay to just go somewhere else inside the house. So I'm trying to figure out how to get him to make some sort of noise to let me know when he needs to go and not just sitting by the door.

Hope this helps?
[notify]