GO!

NEED HELP w/ biting inhibition in puppy

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Luna

Barked: Thu Jan 19, '12 12:23am PST 
I have a 4 week old Siberian husky (yes, I know she's too young to be away from her mom. The man I bought her from said the mom was refusing to feed the litter and was giving then dairy milk. So I decided she would be better off in my care than their care. She's very healthy, no parasites, and a BIG appetite).
Since she is so young I need to know what are some EFFECTIVE ways to teach bite inhibition. I read somewhere to mimic he mother's warning and disciplines but I'm scared and worried that would cause problems later on in her life with humans and I definitely don't need her to develop bad behaviors. So I need EFFECTIVE WAYS to curb her biting while she's young.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Sat Jan 21, '12 1:07pm PST 
Yikes! I'm inclined to agree about her poor litter's situation - is there any way you could talk their owner into surrendering them to a rescue?

It is a bad idea to attempt to play "mother dog." Typically those sorces are 20+ years out of date. You're right, it can severely damage your relationship with your dog.

The ideal situation would be to get her with a foster litter. You could try contacting vets, rescues or breeders in the area to see if they have or know of any healthy litters about her age. That way she also gets the benefit of real dog's milk.

Otherwise the best thing you can do is get her socializing with other puppies again as soon as it's safe. Typically 10 weeks is fine. Speak with your vet about it. Look for puppy kindergarten classes or puppy socials from reputable trainers and see what they require. Although she misses out until then, 10 weeks is still young enough to absorb quite a bit.

On your end, always end play if she nips too hard. Just get up and ignore her. Right from the start, getting rough means the fun ends. You could try giving a sharp "ouch!" to indicate you're hurt... It's a very popular method, but I find it's only about 30% effective. The other 60+% either don't care or become more excited by the noise.

And remember... Yeah, it really is best if a puppy is with their litter for 8 - 12 weeks. But it's not a sentance of doom if they aren't. You're aware of what can happen and you're going to do best by her. That's what really matters.
[notify]
Luna

Barked: Tue Jan 24, '12 6:53am PST 
Yea, i typically think i bought from a BYB because she was the only puppy left. The day i got her, took her to the vet, and my vet said to start weaning her. The ouch method just makes her more excited. I've been doing what my friend (who breeds bull terriers) told me to do. She says she teaches her puppies this way since they are so hard headed and stubborn and so far it has worked. She told me to hold their muzzle shut and say "No bite!"

In the mornings when i'm in the process of getting her food ready she usually will start chewing on my slippers and pj pant legs. This morning she tried doing it and all i did was "Aah! Aah! No bite!" and she immediately let go. That's her first time for just letting go w/o me having to hold her muzzle and tell her no bite. Haven't tried it with my hand yet. But will do the same thing when she nips at my hand. I like the fact that she listened to my "Aah! Aah!" since i've trained all my other dogs with that. I honestly don't no anyone else who has puppies that she can socialize with. I know i took her at a young age, but i thought that she was better off with me in my care than in the owners' care (especially since he was feeding her dairy milk!)Plus i'm going to school for veterinary technician. I have another husky who seems to be teaching her what's good nipping and what's bad nipping.
[notify]