GO!

A local Sibe in need of rescue-finding it hard to walk away

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Neptune

Barked: Mon Jan 2, '12 8:24pm PST 
I've volunteered with animal rescues before, but I've never been a foster mom to dogs. Just cats. I've had dogs in my (parent's) home my whole life, but only until recently have I acquired my own dogs. Two Sibe puppies to be exact, that I have waited 25 years to get. Literally. Pups are a day apart, and 9 weeks old. smile

Out of curiosity one day, I searched our local Craigslist for any Sibes that could have found their way on there. I had read that many Sibes find themselves in multiple homes due to owners not really understanding the breed. Sure enough, I found one. A 1-year old male, about 15 miles away.

Owned by a 20-something year old girl who is about to move and cannot take him with her. She is asking for a "rehoming" fee, and taking offers on him. *shudders*
I would like to simply see him go to an incredible home. Understanding that this young girl is likely trying to recoup some money for caring for this dog for a year or so, the whole ad bugs me.

Every LOGICAL fiber of my being knows it would be superbly non-sensical to run to this girl's home and try to adopt this boy. However, I can't stop thinking about him. She needs to rehome him ASAP. Wondering now if she will cave and let just anyone end up with him? This keeps me up at night! I've talked to her on the phone several times, trying to help her home him.

I want to see him find his forever home...but in the back of my mind I really find myself believing he needs people like us!! (This must be the husky bug)

Even if we fostered him for her (until she can find him a forever home), I worry putting this poor boy in a 2nd home, to only end up in a 3rd might hurt him more. But I know fosters do it, to help those without any homes.

Sorry to prattle on...any suggestions? No, walking away won't work. LOL
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Thu Jan 5, '12 6:16pm PST 
The method of least involvement would be to find a rescue and convince her to surrender the dog to them. Or to give her whatever she wants for this dog and turn around and surrender him to rescue yourself.

Honestly it sounds like you're in this too deep already. There are hundreds of Huskies out there looking for homes. You can not help them all. That's simply the way it is, and if you try you will ultimately hurt your own family (furry and otherwise). I do totally support helping with rescue, but only in ways that don't hurt your family. Taking on two puppies at once is already a HUGE deal (to a point that when people call the training center about it, we try to talk them out of it). Adding what is essentially another, larger puppy to that mix is going to have you pulling your hair out. Taking "just one more" because "you have to" is what ultimately leads good dog people to completely burn out and leave dogs for good, which doesn't help anyone. Do it if you must, but you really may want to consider the "walking away" option.
[notify]
Janouk

Barked: Mon Jan 16, '12 8:20am PST 
Hi, we have two pups from the same litter, a no-no in many people's books but they are doing fine so far. We also have an older sibe, but... We had him from puppy on, we know what he will do and we know what do and do not want the pupsvo learn from him. Adding a year old dogbto the mix from whom you know next to nothing could give you a lot of trouble and might damage your new pups. I still think we did the right thing in buying the two pups at this moment but I also know now that it is more difficult to housetrain them and generally train them than when you have pup. Adding an untrianed, unknown dog to that mixture would not be my first choice...
[notify]

Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Mon Jan 16, '12 11:24am PST 
Right... To clarify, if I was unclear, it's not an inherently bad thing to adopt two puppies at once. If I wanted two dogs at once and found a really awesome breeder, I would consider doing it myself. It's just a TON of work. We discourage it because most people can not handle that work load - in fact, many people want two puppies at once because they believe it will be less work!

The reality is that if left to their own devices, one of two things typically happens:
The puppies bond with eachother to the point where they can not tolerate being away from eachother at all. Even being on leash on opposite sides of a room is intolerable. They live in their own world and don't care much about their human family. Their personalities are virtually indestinguable. They often get sick/die together because they can not handle the stress of being apart.
Or, the two had an iffy relationship to begin with, and as they mature they really start to get sick of the other always being in their space. Some of the most violent inter-household fighting I have seen is between littermates, specifically sisters.

Hopefully you already know all this, having worked with animals and done your research. I suppose I'm clarifying more for the benefit of lurkers who may be considering adding multipul dogs or adopting 2 puppies at once.

The way to prevent the two bad scenrios is to devote time to both puppies as individuals. Make individual vet appointments. Put them in separate puppy classes. Take one out to exercise while the other stays at home for alone time, then switch. In the end, it's almost more than double the work!

Then to add a one year old, who is still emotionally a puppy, did not have a good home to start, is not used to living with other dogs (Huskies are notorious resource guarders) and may not even remember what a tiny puppy is... It could potentially be 6 months before you can have all three dogs together, and even that may be on limited terms.

I do get it.

Ember was part of bad littermate scenerio #1. Her brother was hit by a car and killed, so she became so depressed, anxious and frustrated she was driving the humans insane. Much to Vance's chagrin, she immediately transferred all her neediness to him when they met. I could not leave them loose, alone together for over 9 months. But I also could not leave her alone without him nearby. It was a TON of work - and that's without even considering her health issues and dog aggression (also now thankfully cleared up). I tell people all the time, do not adopt a dog because you "have to," and do not adopt a dog sight unseen unless you are ready for anything.

When it was me and Vance on our own, living down the street from the training facility with all the time in the world... I was ready for anything. Now that Vances heath issues are dramatically worse and my boyfriend brought home a dog aggressive Husky (and got reamed for not being able to say "no") I am no longer ready for anything. I've turned away countless Huskies in need of homes, including a one-eye who was now healthy, but the owner thought he was ugly now, a one-year-old who just needed some exercise, a 13-year-old who was found wandering in the woods, blind, a middle-age girl who was basically perfect but her owners were military and moving... Part of working with animals is knowing when to say "no."
[notify]