GO!

Raw Food Diet

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Bella

I am smarter- than your- average human.

Barked: Mon Jun 14, '10 8:25am PST 
Does anyone else have their husky on a raw food diet. I have been reading the benefits of it and want to try it but am a bit nervous about it.

According to her weight she should be eating 1pd of food a day which she is right now. I was going to try to start her off on chicken legs/thighs and maybe move in to pork steaks and beef.

Any suggestions or feedback is appreciated. I read through the entire "raw food chicken" post and those guys swear by raw food. I just wanted to see how huskys handled it.
[notify]
Mystique- 'Tiki'

Wooo Awooo!

Barked: Mon Jun 14, '10 9:35am PST 
Tiki is german shepherd / siberian husky. We feed her a prey model raw diet. I've seen DRASTIC improvements in her teeth, coat and over all well being. I see you've posted in the raw forum, so I'm not going to repeat what's been said over there, but wanted to let you know that you'll see a lot of good changes. Dogs are meant to eat meat and bones. big grin
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Jun 14, '10 11:59am PST 
My guys are all happily raw fed. Vance was wasting away on kibble, and although I didn't even try it with Ember I hear her first family struggled to keep weight on her. Fox was doing alright on kibble, but her coat has definitely improved on raw and her weight has evened out a bit.

Most people do start on chicken, although it's not necessary. Vance and Fox started on turkey and Ember on beef. There are so many ways to approach a raw diet - in fact, all three of mine eat an entirely different diet - that it's difficult to blindly offer suggestions. What are you nervous about specifically?
[notify]

Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Mon Jun 14, '10 7:53pm PST 
I do half raw and half super premium kibble. If we ever find a source for organs that doesn't cost two paws and a tail to ship, I will probably go onto full prey model raw. I have to admit, kibble is handy for trips or when the power is out for more then a day. Chicken quarters/lets and thighs are a good place to start.
[notify]
Mystique- 'Tiki'

Wooo Awooo!

Barked: Mon Jun 14, '10 10:38pm PST 
Hey Fritz, I don't know about the wally worlds where you are, but ours has started to carry different types of organs.. kidneys and all. Might be worth checking into. big grin
[notify]
Bella

Barked: Wed Jun 16, '10 6:44am PST 
This is the only issue. COST lol. 60$ a month to feed her raw is what I am coming up with. What is probably going to happen is that she is going to stay on kibble for another year. After that my financial situation should be a lot better! Then I will switch her.
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Wed Jun 16, '10 8:04am PST 
Don't give up searching for resources in the meantime! There is usually some local raw food goldmine, the trick is finding it. Co-ops, meat markets, local butchers, hunters, Craigslist and Freecycle can all be excellent resources for cheap or free meat.

You may also be able to place orders from premade dealers - Bravo, for example, sells whole chicken, turkey and duck necks, buffalo tails and necks, beef necks, hearts, and more. I recently ordered a 30 lb case of duck necks and a 20 lb case of buffalo tails. Together they averaged $1.45 lb. Which is really cheap for any meat in this area.

Buying in bulk is key, although it can be difficult to do so when you're starting out.

You can also feed part raw, offering a kibble meal and a raw meal every day, or alternating days if you feed once a day. It keeps costs down and gives you both time to adjust to raw.
[notify]
Bella

Barked: Mon Jun 21, '10 7:44am PST 
I FOUND IT! Local meat market by my house sells 10pd bags of leg quarters for 4.90$. 60 pounds of it only cost me 35$. According to Bella's weight she will need to eat 2 per day. I gave her the first one and she took it out of her bowl and ran around the house with it. I was like NOOOOOOOOO. LOL. Opened the door, and she plopped it on the ground and went to town on it. It has been going on for 3 days now and she is loving it. When she poops there is hardly none! Its a few small balls and they don't smell anything. She has been peeing alot though! Guess with all the water in the raw meat plus all the water she drinks when we play outside. This is wonderful and so easy!
[notify]
Mystique- 'Tiki'

Wooo Awooo!

Barked: Mon Jun 21, '10 6:33pm PST 
way to goapplausecheer
[notify]
Rebel

Barked: Fri Nov 5, '10 8:12pm PST 
Rebel is 8months old and I was planning to change his diet to raw. Is it ok if one meal is raw then the other is just kibble? I still havent tried raw though, he's still currently in kibble but I noticed some sort of rashes on his skin. Im planning to take him to vet later, hope its nothing serious. frown
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3