GO!

therapy dogs

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Brandi

brandi-miss- brandi

Barked: Fri Mar 19, '10 11:17am PST 
does a siberian husky make a good therapy dog? i would love for brandi to be onebig grindog
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Sat Mar 20, '10 10:52pm PST 
Universally, this depends totally on the individual dog. There are no breeds that are inherently good at being therapy dogs. I flinch when people show up in class with a 8-week-old Golden Retriever, proudly proclaiming that he will be a therapy dog.

It also depends on the owner. Getting a therapy certification is a lot of hard work and preparation, which ultimately puts you in real-life situations that can become very stressful, dangerous and even deadly at any moment. It is very rewarding, but there is much more to it than walking into a hospital, making people smile, and going home with warm fuzzies.

As a generalization, Huskies are too aloof and independent to excel at therapy work. They tend to pick and choose who their friends are, when they want any attention at all, and when they do want attention, they don't usually enjoy excessive physical interaction. In most cases you want a therapy dog to overtly adore all people and be happy to be touched and prodded all day long. I'm sure there are Huskies who fall into that category, but I haven't met any yet.

There are many other qualities a dog needs to be successful in therapy work. They must not be overly fearful - startling is fine, but if your dog is going to have a meltdown if someone drops a bedpan they will never succeed as a therapy dog. They can't be overly affected by stress and sadness. If you do think Brandi would be a good candidate, look up therapy dog classes in your area. Many training facilities offer them and when you're ready, they can help you find a location to get tested and certified as a therapy team.
[notify]
Brandi

brandi-miss- brandi

Barked: Sun Mar 21, '10 6:33pm PST 
thanks, that helps so much!!!!!!!applause
[notify]

Dodger

I like to smile.

Barked: Thu May 20, '10 10:09am PST 
well dodger is a great one. granted he is a mix, he mostly carries the husky traits
[notify]
Cooper

It's all about- playing!!

Barked: Fri May 21, '10 12:00pm PST 
Don't know if ya'll know about Lucas, http://www.dogster.com/dogs/925345 , and if not, it is most definitely worth reading his entire profile, but after overcoming severe abuse, mistreatment, he is now a certified therapy dog. smile Lucas has an amazing story.

Honestly, I think it depends on the individual dog. I can see one of mine being a good therapy dog, but not the other two. Like said earlier in this post, it takes a lot of dedication on both the part of the dog and the owner. But, if you think your dog has the right characteristics, then go for it! You don't have anything to lose, do you? smile
[notify]