|Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 1:46pm PST |
|Hi Bamboo, welcome to the Forum. I've bumped an excellent thread for you to read thru, if you have not already, entitled "Shiba Owners Recommendations". It is an excellent resource. The book Saya recommended is excellent as well. To answer your specific questions:
1. You really should have both an x-pen and a crate. Midwest Life Stages makes an excellent crate that has a movable divider to make the crate bigger as the puppy grows. I use the 24 x 30 for an adult dog.
2. Training should begin shortly after the puppy has come home and has adjusted to his new surroundings. Keep training sessions very short and fun, though, and don't expect him to "get" everything right away. Use positive reinforcement only and make it fun - like a game - and always end on a positive note.
3. Toys -- get the strongest most indestructable toys you can afford. Anything else will be shredded (and possible swallowed) in no time - like minutes. Stay away from anything with buttons, dangling strings, soft stuffing that puppy can ingest. If a toy becomes shredded dispose of it immediately. Kongs are good. Rope toys are good. You need to focus on chewing toys -- as your little Shiba has teeth like pihranna and he will use them on you and everything else if you don't give him something appropriate to chew on.
4. You will have far more important things to worry about than a brush at this point, but later you will need a good slicker brush.
5. Since I don't know what you've already purchased, I can't be of too much help without listing tons of things you may already have. You will definitely need natures miracle until the pup is potty trained.
My most important piece of advice would be to get everything up off the floor that you don't want destroyed, plan on getting zero sleep for the next few weeks at minimum, remember the crate is your friend -- use it and make it a safe, fun place for puppy. Let us know if there is anything else specific you have questions about that you can't find elsewhere. Good Luck!
|my posts | my page | msg me | my family's posts | gift me | become pals|| [notify]|