GO!

Shiba not fluffy?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Kaia Nugget

Little Monster

Barked: Fri Nov 11, '11 10:56am PST 
So, I see all these picture of Shibas... and they are all so fluffy and full in the cold months. I thought that Kaia would get a fluffy winter coat when it got cold, but it is November and she is still super sleek. She isn't shedding at all right now so I guess this is the coat she's going to have this season...
I guess that's fine that she is on the sleek side, but I think she caught a bit of a cold haha - is sneezy and snuffly. and loves my electric blanket to sleep on.
Just want to make sure it's not weird that she isn't fluffy.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/97258471@N00/6334614187/
[notify]
Kaida

Official Shiba- Squirrel Tracker

Barked: Fri Nov 11, '11 11:46am PST 
Kaida isn't a fluffy shiba either. You would be surprised at how thick her coat really is even if it doesn't look "fluffy" I definitely notice a change in her coat, though she always looks like she has a summer coat on. Ideally I believe shibas should have the thicker looking coat, but I know black and tans are prone to the "thinner" look.
[notify]
Kaida

Official Shiba- Squirrel Tracker

Barked: Fri Nov 11, '11 11:48am PST 
Forgot to mention, Kaia looks soooo much like Kaida. Does she have the black undercoat as well? I think show quality black and tans should have the cream colored undercoat and I think missing that color is what gives them the sleek look. Perhaps Sakura or Saya knows and can chime in.
[notify]

Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Sun Nov 13, '11 6:27am PST 
Depends where you live. I know it gets cold in parts of California, but how cold does it get in your area?

Here in IN it's in the 60s, 50, and at night 40 or 35.

Saya started shedding lightly in September and got more heavy in October and now in November is is still shedding a bit I gave her a bath and lots of fur came off..

Last winter she didn't have full coat till December or something like that.

Is this your first winter with Kaia?

I'm no expert I think it depends on the shiba, area and breeding lines.
[notify]
Tsuki, Kit,- Kiba &- Buckley

inubakablog.com

Barked: Mon Dec 5, '11 3:46pm PST 
even in consistent winter sub zero and snowy conditions, my tsuki never gets a fluffy coat like my kitsu does.
[notify]