GO!

my coat problems

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Kiba -CGC- -TDI-

silly human say- wha?

Barked: Thu Jun 10, '10 12:48am PST 
my shiba kiba is not looking well. he barely eats or more like doesnt gain weights since hes so light bone and kinda thin. he also is losing his hair. like he itches alot and shakes his body. hes shedding but got so many bald spot and hair not growing , im lost and my vet is stumped to0. know any food or diets that will help him gain some weight and help this coat and skin? ( fleas arent the cause)shrug
[notify]
Koji

Looks like a- fox, walks like- a deer

Barked: Thu Jun 10, '10 3:30am PST 
How much does Kiba weigh? He looks to me to be about the same body type as Koji, who is more of a slim/streamlined Shiba. He weighs in at 22.5 lbs and the vet thinks he's a fine example of what a healthy, in shape dog should be at each check up. Does your vet think he needs to gain weight?

Also, what kind of food is Kiba on? Brand and type would be best, as the more specific it is, the more we can help. If he's not already, I usually recommend a fish based, no grain diet, like Wellness Core or Orijen, since most dogs tend to not be allergic to fish. Also, if he's particularly itchy, do you notice him being so after a romp outside in the grass, or moreso during certain seasons (when things are blooming or seeding?)

And you said the vet is stumped, has he checked for mange, ringworm and other fungi? Have Kiba's eating habits changed, or does he just normally not eat bunches and bunches?
[notify]
Tank

i am NOT a- husky!

Barked: Thu Jun 10, '10 5:09am PST 
alot of shedding could mean that he's 'blowing his coat' (shibas typically have 2 major sheds a year which are referred to as blowing coat), but he shouldnt have bald spots. are they completely bald spots or are there just tufts of fur coming out leaving a little fur still there? its possible that just the heat and blowing coat could be making him itchy. you could try adding some salmon oil to make his skin and coat better. but like koji said, can you maybe give some more details to know what were working with here? alot of us have dealt with skin and coat problems and have good solutions to try but a little more info could help narrow it down.

also, many shibas are either picky eaters or tend to pace themselves throughout the day. my 2 pups are on a raw diet, but when they were on kibble Tank would go thru phases...sometimes eat his entire meal at once, sometimes graze thru the day, sometimes just nibble in the morning then eat his whole dinner.
[notify]

Kiba -CGC- -TDI-

silly human say- wha?

Barked: Thu Jun 10, '10 7:22am PST 
well he just eats purina dog chow as a filler and some no grain dog food as the nutrients. he looks like he has mange just kidding it just he looks bad. he had his choke collar rub his hair before we got him and that hasnt grown back and now he losing his coat, especially on the inside and belly. he weighs about 18lbs. hes lean but needs more weight on him. he takes his time to eat but eats most of the time. its just he doesnt keep it on him. no worms or anything.
[notify]
Tank

i am NOT a- husky!

Barked: Thu Jun 10, '10 10:22am PST 
since he's already a year old he should be done growing and he just may be on the smaller side. 18lbs really isnt a bad weight even for a male. unless he continually loses weight or acts sick.

HOWEVER...purina??? i would switch him immediately. purina has alot of fillers and junk in it. its basically like a human eating snickers bars for breakfast, lunch and dinner and expecting to get nutrients. that could be a reason he's having coat issues. he may be sensitive or allergic to grain. i think if you switch to something grain free you will start to see improvement but it may take a little time. the itching would probably decrease somewhat soon tho. shibas are prone to allergies so a quality food is key. you can research pet food here:

www.dogfoodanalysis.com

purina gets 1 star (the lowest rating): http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php/prod uct/1843/sort/8/cat/7/page/2 (take out any spaces)

again, it sounds like he's blowing coat which is perfectly normal. you can help this process by getting a furminator and brushing him.

you can also use an oatmeal shampoo so soothe itchies. just dont bathe too often as they dont need it and it can strip the oils from the skin and fur. it will also help the blowing process.

what tests did your vet do? did he actually test for mange?

i really hope your pup gets some relief. you should start to see some great changes when you switch his food.
[notify]
Bella

I'm big in- Japan.

Barked: Thu Jun 10, '10 10:27am PST 
I would probably go to another vet if this one doesn't know exactly what's going on.

I would dump the Purina--it's basically corn that just makes the poops bigger! Lots of Shibas have grain sensitivity. There are some reasonably priced grain free options out there--like taste of the wild. Also, lots of people have had success regulating weight with feeding raw. You might want to browse the raw feeding forum, if you think this might be a good fit for you.

Be sure your dog is getting an omega 3/6 fatty acid supplement and maybe a prozyme like solid gold seameal. I give Bella a little bit of Nutri-cal on days she doesn't eat much.

Edited by author Thu Jun 10, '10 10:29am PST

[notify]
Koji

Looks like a- fox, walks like- a deer

Barked: Thu Jun 10, '10 1:33pm PST 
Exactly what the other two have said, ditch the Purina. Also, are they BALD bald spots, or is it just a coat blow? Still not 100% sure on that, but again, another vet would be able to help, as well. This is what a Mal (another northern breed) looks like when it blows coat:

blowing coat

Also, here's an anecdote about bad food and weight gain. Friends of mine have this lab/dane mix named Brewer. They were feeding him okay food and he put on a little weight when they brought him home from the shelter (3 years ago?). He was seriously underweight with ribs and hips sticking out every which way. To try and get him to gain weight, they figured Ol' Roy was the way to go, seeing it was smelly and greasy and fatty. Unfortunately, he didn't, but her Kelpie and Shiba gained a bit and looked greasy and unhealthy as a result. After raising the concern to their vet (this is last year), he more or less lectured them about how BAD that sort of food is. So they went to Royal Canin (trying to feed poor Brewer 5 cups in a sitting!!). From there to Nutro, since there was a representative at their Petco promoting their foods. Still not the best, but Baker and Dug seemed to benefit while Brewer still looked underweight. Wellness Whitefish is what they finally switched to, after seeing Koji do so well on it, and LOW AND BEHOLD, Brewer has now gained enough that you cannot make out ribs, everyone has silky coats and NO ONE SMELLS. Now, regular Wellness has grains in it (barley and oats), but it was such a difference that a quality food made in getting everyone to a healthy weight. Baker is back to being slim and springy, Dug isn't as round, and Brewer doesn't look starved.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 16, '14 3:56pm PST 
I have an 8 year old female red sesame shiba inu, Lilly who goes through periods of time when she rips her hair out. I thought it was seperation anxiety but I got laid off in Oct 2013 and it's Jan 2014 and the bald spots are still not filling in as fast as I would like. I give her no chicken at all and she eats all natural dog food rice barley salmon and home made sweet potato treats with a fish oil supplement daily in her wet food. I do believe she suffer's from my stress disorder as I can see it in her when I'm stressed, very sad to what your sadness can do to your pets, but I'm working on it and trying to pay more attention to Lilly, extra walks, extra 1:1 time. I do believe these Shiba's have allergies and fleas is not the cause. I thought it was the carpet in my last apt. which was very short lived and now I'm back to hardwood and ceremic tile and loving it as I myself have asthma and multiple allergies. Like mother like dog!!! I will post a pic when I get one of those phones. Thanks. DEbbie
[notify]