GO!

Shelties & Hot Weather

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Lola

"If I don't know- you I don't like- you!"

Barked: Wed May 13, '09 8:13am PST 
Just curious who here lives in a hot climate and owns a sheltie? How do you cope? We currently live in the north were it is cold and snowy most of the year. They love the snow and do fine in the cold (but we don't) and we are thinking of moving to a much warmer climate in Austin, TX. However I'm concerned it will be too warm for them, especially since they need a lot of exercise and they're used to hour long hikes daily. I'm not sure how much outdoor exercise would even be possible in the hot texas summers. I know there are a few breeders and rescue groups there, so people do it but I just couldn't do it if I knew they were going to be unhappy. Any advice?
[notify]
Willow

THE LOVE MACHINE

Barked: Wed May 20, '09 11:50am PST 
well i live in kansas city and we have both extreme winters and extreme summers. but even in the hottest days of summer willow never seems to over heat. i read somewhere that the shelties fur is also insulation against the heat as well as the cold. i think the fur actually helps to fan that dog to keep him or her cool during the hot days of summer. i can't give you my source (i don't remember) but if i were you i would do my own research about the breed, and see if i'm right or just full of it. but anyway willow really don's mind the heat, so i don't think it would be a problem, but if you move, and your dog starts to overheat, you can always get him a short trim to keep him cool.
[notify]
Zeke

aka Momma's baby- bubbie

Barked: Tue May 26, '09 6:19am PST 
We live in south Louisiana. During the "hot" months (Jun-Sep) we walk either in early morning or late evening. I don't trim him in the summer. I also remember reading somewhere that their coat acts as insulation from cold AND heat. When he wants to romp outside during the hot part of the day I keep plenty of fresh water available and will fill a small wading pool with water in case he wants to "cool" off. I've haven't noticed any signs of heat distress in him, but I also try to use common sense. If it's too hot for me to be outside doing work, it's probably too hot for him - hence the timing on our walks. Ditto on doing some on-line research.
[notify]

Dora

Not like Dora- the explorer,- but Theodora

Barked: Fri Jun 26, '09 9:57am PST 
Hi!
We are having really hot weather(like 90 degrees!) now that it's summer. And we live close to the top of Illinois! If you look at my picture for Dora (she's one year old now, and yesterday was her birthday and I'm trying to find a cute picture of the birthday cone we put on her)that's one way she tries to get outside and not be fried to a crisp. There are many more ways, but if I made a list, I'd be writing for hours!
[notify]
Lexi, RNCL,- RACL

C is for cookie,- is good enough- for me!

Barked: Mon Jun 29, '09 6:59pm PST 
I find my black shelties LOVES to lie on the deck in the full sun when it is really hot out. I thought she had something wrong with her brain! I touched the outside of her coat, and it was burning hot. When I dug my hands down next to her skin it was nice and cool.

So, never shave or trim a sheltie, as you will wreck the insulating factor of the fur!

Now I never worry about Lexi laying in the blazing sun.
[notify]
Logan

Mum's Handsome- Boy!

Barked: Sat Aug 29, '09 7:05am PST 
Logan absolutely can not take the sun at all. Anything over 80-85, he is panting within minutes and very hot. He hates it. We limit his time outdoors greatly during the summer months and I am pretty sure that he's thankful for it. We play a lot of games inside like fetch and do tricks to make up for it.
[notify]
Mojo

Where\'s the- jumps?

Barked: Wed Oct 14, '09 7:37am PST 
Shelties are pretty adaptable as far a temperature goes, but every dog is different. Some are more "hot natured" than others. I live in North Carolina and my dogs do fine, but I make sure to keep everybody in the air condition during the hottest part of the day, from around 12:00pm to 4:00pm. Of course, always make sure the dogs have clean, cool water all the time. Like the others have said, never shave a Sheltie. They do need their protective coat for both hot and cold weather.
[notify]