GO!

Action: Don't give dogs as Christmas gifts!

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Amber

Amber the Dog

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 12:54pm PST 
Please join the action to persuade people not to give dogs as presents underneath the Christmas tree! They very often are thrown away by bored children and their overworked parents.

Don't give dogs as Christmas gifts!

Please share this poster to your friends and tell them not to do it. Thanks!

Edited by author Tue Dec 18, '12 12:58pm PST

[notify]
Shiloh

Throw the- Squeaky Bone. Do- It Now.

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 12:22am PST 
(Yes, a little late, but I won't tell if you don't smile )

I won't say that I DISagree with you, but I think that a dog can make a good Christmas gift if the adoption is well planned and properly thought out, especially since around Christmas is when dogs seem to be dumped in greater numbers and shelters strain to keep up.

The sad fact is ANY dog can be 'thrown away' at ANY time. I was the recipient of one such animal. The family got a cute puppy that turned into a high energy, nervous dog that was too much for them.

I would say that I agree with 'don't give a dog as an impulse gift'.
[notify]
Dora

A-Dora-ble!

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 5:48am PST 
And most of all, don't ever surprise anyone with a pet as a gift.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 9:36pm PST 
I would agree that it isn't the best idea to give dogs as Christmas gifts, but I guess that would also depend on how the family has made preparations on welcoming a dog on such a busy holiday. As long as the family would spend time with the new dog then I guess it wouldn't be much of a problem.

Oh, and don't forget to keep a calm environment when introducing the dog to the whole family.
[notify]
Dora

A-Dora-ble!

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 7:50am PST 
Yes, depending on your holiday schedule, Christmas can be a great time to bring a new pet home. That's not what we're recommending against. It's pets as GIFTS for people who did not participate in picking out the particular pet, or even worse, wasn't expecting a pet at all. That's disastrous, for the pet most of all.

Well thought out, bringing a pet home over the holidays when people often have time off to spend helping the pet settle in can be a very good plan--but it has to be a plan, with no "surprises" for any member of the household above toddler age.
[notify]