GO!

The No-Kill Movement

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 31)  
1  2  3  4  
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 9:46pm PST 
Duncan, I don't know what happened, I could have sworn there was a post from you after my previous post, and then it wasn't there. I was at my low ebb AND engaged in a rather stressful back-and-forth on Facebook, and thought tlyou must have decided to delete it for some reason--forgetting that on Dogster, unlike FB, you really can't do that. It must have been a previous post on another page.

Brain fart all the way. Sorry.

And yes, I agree with you that most shelters here don't do all the fancy stuff, because at a fundamental level humans are programmed to default to lazy, to do what needs to be done and not stuff that seems unnecessary. The two I talked about, as well as the one you mentioned, though, have a significant impact.

We've talked offline about the impact of the climate, making it harder to keep dogs outside, and thereby increasing the extent to which they become family members rather than possessions. It also matters that when you bring home a puppy or kitten people ask when, not if, they'll be fixed. Social expectation is self-reinforcing.
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 31)  
1  2  3  4