GO!

Making the choice to put a dog up for adoption?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Trixie

If I find it,- its mine

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 12:02pm PST 
My family has been discussing the possibility of re- homing our miniature poodle for several weeks. It is just a thought at this point, we have made no definitive decisions.

She is a healthy girl. Within the past month she had a full blood work up, and xrays to make sure nothing was wrong with her legs. Everything came back okay, and she is healthy.

She is a very one person dog, and has recently become aggressive towards my family's three other dogs and our cats. It started after my American Eskimo dog died. My poodle had been the under dog until then, but now it seems she is vying for a dominate position in the pack.

I'm waiting to hear back from a behaviorist recommended by my vet, to see if they can help me out with her behavior problems.

She is five and spayed.

It almost seems like she would be better as an only dog, as she gets jealous so easily.
[notify]
Ellie

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 7:35am PST 
I wondered if it could be a grief/fear reaction. I knew someone whose dog started having behavior problems after the death of another dog. She was able to deal with the problem by using calming aids. I do not know the specifics.

Let us know what the behaviorist says. Good luck!
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 4:09pm PST 
Was Trixie not the dog you thought was faking lameness after the addition of a new puppy not too long ago? Frankly I'd be looking at the puppy as a source of stress.

The rule in my house is last in, first out if the issue was triggered by the addition of a new dog. If she truly would be better in a single dog home (which really, she was fine before so whatever changed is the trigger) that's your decision and an intensely personal and serious one. Personally my priority will always be the ones who were there first.
[notify]

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 11:21am PST 
I agree with Zephyr. Last in, first out. If Sabi suddenly developed issues with Morrigan it certainly wouldn't be Sabs that would leave. Mori has a ways to go before she will be adoptable, and she may stay, but if she was a problem she would be moving.
When it became clear that Shadow and Senora would never get along I considered moving Senora to another foster home.
You got a new puppy, that was your choice. Some dogs just are not a good fit in some homes
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 2:32pm PST 
I'm with Zephyer and Sabi...there is no way, no how I could ever place a dog I have had for FIVE YEARS just so a puppy could come into my house...that is just not something I would even consider. These are living, breathing, FEELING companions we chose to love and care for until no longer possible. No longer possible does not include replacing with a younger version, IMO.
That puppy is a baby and will adjust to any home, any where. Trixie is FIVE YEARS OLD, she has her routines and it is just not fair to uproute her so you can keep a puppy!!!
[notify]