GO!

My dog had to be euthanized ten days after adoption

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Trixie

If I find it,- its mine

Barked: Sun Aug 26, '12 6:32am PST 
Today I will be saying Goodbye to Scoobie. I am to upset to post under his name. My family has had him ten days. After $500 worth of blood work we discovered yesterday his kidneys are failing. He has been shaking, throwing up and has black diarrhea for two days. His eyes hold a sadness now, so it's obvious it's time.

I'm angry at the humane society for adopting out a dog who was suffering from the end stages of kidney failure. He had seen two vets prior to us adopting him and had been adopted once before. He had not eaten since we brought him home, and was drinking alot of water. So we did a blood panel and discovered the depth of his issues.

The humane society offered to euthanize/ get him cremated for free. We are taking them up on that offer.

They offered us another dog, but the idea of another dog right now makes me cry even more.

My 13 year old American Eskimo had died earlier this month, then we adopted Scoobie. After today my family will have lost two dogs this month.

This has jaded me to humane societies. I dont think I would ever be willing to adopt from one again.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sun Aug 26, '12 7:06am PST 
I am so sorry to hear thishughughughug I read your other post but had nothing to offer, not having an experience with that particular problem. I am sorry you are going through such a hard time right nowhughughug
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Sun Aug 26, '12 7:16am PST 
So sorry to hear that. Just know that you did everything you could for him. hughughughughughughughughug He will leave this world knowing that someone cared about him.
[notify]

S

In Loving Memory

Barked: Sun Aug 26, '12 9:58am PST 
So sorry for your recent losses. hughughughug
[notify]
Lincoln

Huge heart, big- funny clown

Barked: Sun Aug 26, '12 12:19pm PST 
I'm so very sorry. This was pure and simple-- heartbreak. Take some time, and hopefully your heartache can be eased with a little time. It was a real eye opener to many of us that such things can happen to anyone. Again--I'm so sorry! Be well, and you have my best wishes for the future. Thank you for sharing this with us--it will help others too.
[notify]
Bruce

As delicate as a- bulldozer

Barked: Sun Aug 26, '12 6:33pm PST 
I'm so sorry. hughug
[notify]
Snickers

Momma is the- center of the- universe...

Barked: Sun Aug 26, '12 6:47pm PST 
So sad. I'm sorry for your loss, both of them.

I know the Humane Society has good intentions, but they are not detailed enough.
I have two I adopted from the HS.
7 years ago I brought home Snickers. He was vey malnourished and still had Giardia, which had not been treated. Since his stool wasn't normal, they couldn't have missed that he had a problem. It cost $700 and a few trips to the Vet to get him completely healthy.
3 1/2 years ago we adopted a tiny puppy from the HS. She has grown up into a big girl! Pepper had no health problems and I can't complain about the way the HS took care of her. She had a luxated Patella on one stifle, but the HS couldn't have known about it at 7 weeks old.

I think the chances are better than 50/50.

I also think you must, with the help of your Vet, document where they failed in basic Veteranary care and insist that the HS bring up the standards. This may mean a letter to the Board of Directors.

Helping other dogs may give you a sense of peace over this sad loss.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Sun Aug 26, '12 8:00pm PST 
I am really sorry about this frown The organization you adopted from probably were not aware of the illness. When I was a teenager we had an older Pomeranian who died from Kidney Failure. 10 days before the dog died we had no idea he was sick. He seemed like he was perfectly healthy. He seemed a little under the weather 3 days before he peed blood on the carpet. He died shortly afterwards.

I think adoption is great for dogs. I really hope you can adopt another dog one day after you feel better. Losing 2 dogs so soon must be very sad but don't blame rescue. They probably were not aware the dog was ill. The same thing can happen with dogs bought from breeders. It was good the rescue helped pay for the cremation.
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Mon Aug 27, '12 10:22am PST 
I'm terribly sorry for your losses... hug
[notify]
Biscuit

You mean cat- poop ISN'T a- snack food?

Barked: Mon Aug 27, '12 11:59am PST 
So sorry for your losses. I lost my two 14-year-old girls within two months of each other, and it gutted me. I healed through the adoption of two new furkids, both from shelters (one was a county animal shelter -- not a humane society -- and the other was from an amazing no-kill shelter), who bring joy to my life. Please don't write off shelter adoption. You were an angel to a dog who needed an angel. Someone loved him before he died.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2