GO!

Possibly taking a family members dog?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 1:39pm PST 
My brother's wife recently mentioned to my mom they were talking about getting rid of their 8 year old dog. She is some type of poodle mix. She has a condition that causes her to have dry eyes, as a result she is almost blind. She is also pooping on the floor. I really don't want to get into any deeper detail about it since it's directly related to her care she receives.

I'm wondering if a dog of her age and the conditions listed above if she is likely to be adopted. She is a very sweet dog. I'm not sure what route my brother would take to rehome her.

My parents and I have talked about the possibility of taking her in. But we currently have four other dogs. Ranging in age from 5-13. Two of our dogs are sick. One has kidney failure and one has cancer. They require extra care, but so far remain happy active dogs.

I'm not even sure how to care for a blind dog. Our house has about 8 steps to the front door, so she would have to go down the steps.

Just not sure what we are going to do if my brother does get rid of her.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 5:32pm PST 
Wow...you are in a really tough situation. What really breaks my heart is that special needs dogs especially those up there in years have a really hard time getting adopted. One thing I know is that once a dog becomes blind and has a chance to adapt to familiar surroundings, they adapt really well.

It sounds like taking her in will be too tough for you too. Here's a little bit of thought and wisdom...whatever happens, you can't make this your problem or make it feel it is some how your fault if your brother gives up on this dog. It doesn't sound like a good situation. These kinds of situations break my heart. With time, attention, care, and love, I do believe a dog any age has a chance to be happy and be a wonderful pet.

Does she get along with your dogs or is she well socialized?

If you want to try and do a little homework, you may find out if there are poodle rescues some where in your area. The good thing is poodles are a popular breed and she may, just maybe have a chance. But I feel like it's something your brother should do.

Again, sorry you are stuck in this situation. I'll be thinking of you and more importantly, saying a little prayer for the dog hug
[notify]

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 6:25pm PST 
My parents and I are still talking about adopting her if my brother does get rid of her. It would involve switching vets as well. I don't know anything about the vet they use, but I have been seeing my vet for 15 years. I trust him, and wouldn't use another vet. I believe her behavior problems are fairly easy to address. If the worst happens she would be able to use puppy pads.

I'm hoping they don't get rid of her.

I could never get rid of a dog I had that long frown
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 7:56pm PST 
hughughughughughughughughughughughughughughughug to you and your brother's dog. I have seen people do things like that to senior pets so often and it sickens me that they do. I feel that when you decide to add a pet to your home and it has given you unconditional love,support and understanding during it's life it is very unfair to not do the same when that pet needs you. I hope that they reconsider but if not you and your parents are wonderful for trying to make that poor dog fit in your home and have a place to live out it's remaining years.hughughugwishes
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sun Aug 12, '12 10:05am PST 
Bless ya darlin' for having such a big heart. Really though, it sounds like you plate is full enough with your own doggies that need you. Get yourself pen, paper and phone and start googling-poodle rescues, dog rescues in general. There are so many groups out there. You can find someone who can give that dog the special home she deserves. {{{Hugs}}} and paws crossed
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Mon Aug 13, '12 5:19am PST 
You have such a big heart. I'm an outside looking in, but you know what...I'm thinking I would love for her to be with you. It doesn't sound like she's is in a good situation. I know it's hard though because it's your brother. I think she's super lucky to have someone that cares so much like you do hug
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Aug 13, '12 2:49pm PST 
As an adopter, foster mom and poodle lover I can honestly tell you that she's likely to get adopted. How long it takes depends on the area she's in, the rescue she gets into and if someone can figure out the pooping issue. I adopted out a shih-tzu mix that's been pooping on his new owners floor since he got there!! He didn't do it here so I gave them some tips and they're working with him. There are lots of good hearted people out there that will work with issues once they fall in love.
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '12 11:39am PST 
I am sorry for being defensive, but as someone who happens to have a disability of being partially blind, rehoming a special needs dog with the same disability after 8 years is just wrong, and gives me reason to question whether people like that have a discrimination against disabilities. Why is your brother thinking of rehoming the poodle in the first place? Gosh I wish I could help you, but the best I can do is suggest you talk to others who have owned blind dogs and get some help from them.
[notify]