GO!

When Backyard Breeding Goes Horridly, Horridly Wrong

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '12 6:24pm PST 
Dylan, what breaks my heart is that merle breeding is NOT tricky- as long as you don't breed merle to merle, you can entirely avoid creating deformed double merles. This is not rocket science by any means. Anyone who knows what merle looks like should know this. But too many people don't. frown

Poor, poor Rosie. I think she has a lot more problems than being double merle... the twisted legs and lack of lower jaw are just straight-up inbreeding, most likely. Same for her extreme demodex- inbred dogs often have weak immune systems and being stressed and fed bad food surely didn't help. I hope she'll look a lot better once she's getting vet care and better nutrition.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '12 9:11pm PST 
I wouldn't say it's only backyard breeding though. People with knowledge of genetics, who show their dogs and so on create similar genetic messes on purpose. Like the Rough Collie Wyndlair Avalanche, purpose-bred double dilute merle who is blind, but was popularly used because he could always create blue merle puppies, like his son who won Westminster best of breed. shrug

It's just a matter of ignorance, purposeful or not, tunnel vision, arrogance, and stupidity.
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '12 3:12am PST 
when breeding merles, you also have to watch out for Bi factored in shelties, Bi-blacks should not be bred to merles, and some dont realize that there are sable merles to.and any merle, whos eyes are that almost white blue, should not be bred at all
[notify]

Kodiak

The cheese ninja

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '12 12:32pm PST 
Oh my heavens. That poor hideous baby won the lottery when those people adopted her.
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '12 5:36pm PST 
Poor baby frown The ones who rescued her are an absolute blessing.

I admit that merle breeding can be tricky, but the saddest thing is the people who knowingly do things that are harmful, like Wyndlair Collies. Though, no matter how hard merle breeding may be, there's absolutely no excuse for that level of inbreeding.
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 2:33am PST 
we agree Calamity Jane. Rosie is in good hands now, getting the love and care she so deserves.
I cant wait to see the "after" pictures of her.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 8:47am PST 
Bruno: "Dylan, what breaks my heart is that merle breeding is NOT tricky- as long as you don't breed merle to merle, you can entirely avoid creating deformed double merles"

That's correct, but even if a breeder isn't breeding merle x merle, there are still so many related health factors that caution still must be used... there's a bit more to it. The genes that combine to creat the color are related to eye and ear health, even when there's been no merle x merle in the lines, it can still be iffy. They also can cause severe jaw structure issues, too. Hence that terrible jaw on poor Rosie. A breeder really needs to look at several generations to be reasonably confident in producing a healthy line.
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 4:32pm PST 
many years ago, mom was a sheltie breeder. one of her females was a Bi Blue merle.
she learned more of the genetics then she thought her poor old brain could handle.

and she had never heard of merle chi`s so she did a little searching. they didnt exist till about 15 years ago. someone cross breed with a merle mini doxie, and slipped the papers thru the AKC.they have been "banned" in most other country regestries because they are riddled with health problem.sadly, there may have been alot of "rosies" that have been "culled"

I really dont like people much
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2