GO!

Trying to help a friend adopt... she is getting frustrated!

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Sat Dec 17, '11 9:41am PST 
I have one dog from a breeder, 2 from shelters and one from a breed rescue. There is a real satisfaction on getting a rescue pup...to take a pup who has had it bad and bring them to a happy place. But the two shelter pups are really wonderful.

One of the shelters I adopted from was rather stringent and the other was (uncomfortably) lax in their adoption policy. But the dogs are wonderful. I would really suggest going to a shelter or Humane Society before giving up and choosing a dog from a breeder.
[notify]
Chufee

CGC; Who says- I'm a princess?

Barked: Sat Dec 17, '11 9:53am PST 
Awesome that your friend is considering rescue. Not sure which part of the country you are in, but I work with a couple of rescues that has small dogs on the east coast, nyc area. Would be happy to help! Pm me if you have questions. smile it is the holiday season, where she shouldn't give up hope that the right dog will find her and her family.
[notify]
Nicky

World's Cutest- Leprechaun

Barked: Sat Dec 17, '11 3:34pm PST 
That's a good idea Chufee has, if you post her general location maybe us Dogsters can refer her to rescues that could help her.

Some shelters in my area also have dogs in foster homes that are ready to adopt so I wouldn't completely rule out shelters either.
[notify]

Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Sun Dec 18, '11 3:33pm PST 
Another option, although not my favorite, is often people have free re-homes on CL. I'd tell her to heck with actually paying for a dog on CL, but many people just don't know where else to put there dog when they lose a house or so on. I'd tell her to be very careful there though... and for sure not to pay for a dog.

My hairdresser's family just got a rehome this way.
[notify]
Trixie

Forever in my- heart

Barked: Sun Dec 18, '11 4:14pm PST 
Try breeder and medium dog. Medium dog are less likely to be hurt by kids and less likely to be hurt BY kids (size speaking). A breeder also might be a good place. They do home checks and might be able to see how the kids act around dogs.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2