GO!

How can I find this?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Kato

Birds!

Barked: Thu Dec 15, '11 2:14pm PST 
I have 2 major points that I want in my next dog.

1: Gets along with Kato and preferable actually interacts with him more than what Sanka does. This will of course only be able to be known through meet n greets.

2: Reliable off leash. I don't care if recall is missing. I can easily train that. I just don't want a dog that takes off and never comes back. I want a dog naturally inclined to stick around me.

And number 2 is the hang up. I will adopt. And I'd be looking for a dog, not a puppy. But, given that so many in rescues and shelters are penned up or behind fences, this is a hard characteristic to find. And I keep reading about how fosters aren't allowed off leash either.

Is this a characteristic that can be determined well in rescue/foster programs? I'm also confused on how to really word it so people get what I want.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Thu Dec 15, '11 2:30pm PST 
I think this would be easier to find in rescue than shelters. That being said , I found this particular dog at our shelter:

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/21733434

My thinking is that a dog that follows people around would probably not be inclined to take off. Mind you Bunny can not be trusted off leash and he follows people aroundthinking I would think that if you looked for breed mixes with the natural tendency to be velcro dogs, this would be one way to find what you are looking for. ie: terriers/hounds are probably not what you are looking forsmile May I suggest a Chi mix?wink Seriously, Princesse's natural tendency is to be glued to my hubby. I gave up tying her outside when we are out there in the summer because she would get upset if he got out of her reachshrug
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Thu Dec 15, '11 2:56pm PST 
It's kind of funny, your wants in a dog are almost EXACTLY like what I was looking for when I got Rigby.

I wanted a dog to play with Oz, but be quick enough to run with Cobain. (Coby wont play with Oz, he just chases).
And since the yard isn't properly fenced, as well as the walks we take are most often off-lead hikes, I needed a dog that would stick by me.

I lucked out immensely with Rigby. She was a shelter dog, and there was no real hands-on information about her as she spent her time in a kennel.
But she's exactly what I wanted.

I suggest that first you get a "type" of dog in mind. Read up on breed traits.
I'd say stay away from hound breeds and huskies, as they both tend to be wanderers/escape artists.
For an example, herding breeds tend to be good - that is if you can provide enough exercise for them.

Also, some shelters/rescues will give you a "trial" opportunity. Where you can take the dog home with no obligation to keep it.
[notify]

Kato

Birds!

Barked: Thu Dec 15, '11 4:40pm PST 
Bunny, I definitely would not feel safe with a small dog in the areas I hike. And that's really the biggie for me. Off leash is for when he go on hikes. I have seen coyotes and birds big enough to take on my 2 lol. I know my anxiety would be through the roof with a small dog, especially a chi-sized one lol.

I love Sanka to death, but dealing with a long line is such a pain. So much that I even go on hikes without him just to really enjoy myself.

I have always been drawn to the herding breeds, but I'm also in love with mystery mutts too.laugh out loud In fact, all my experience with the herding breeds have been really pleasant in terms of off leash capability. And once I experienced that with Kato, I never looked back.big grin

I do know of an Australian cattle dog rescue up north a bit. They take in mutts that look like ACD and even have some collie mixes too. They've always caught my eye.

But for the time being, since I'm not actively searching for another dog (2 is my max!), I kind of just want to really get my wants in order and to really look into how to go about finding that dog I really desire. And after thinking up my top 2...those stances I will not budge on, I realized that little conundrum with really knowing about the off leash thing.

I wasn't sure about the trial periods. How long would they give you? I'd be afraid to get a new dog and then let them have all that freedom on the first day or even the first week. I'd like to give it some time so I feel comfortable reading them and them learning to read me, getting used to things, etc.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu Dec 15, '11 5:57pm PST 
Kato- I'm in Aurora, and If I'm still fostering by the time you're looking for another dog, I'll help you find one wink I would definitely stick with the herding breeds or the gun dogs as those tend to be more handler oriented.

I already have a good idea of my next dog- and won't be getting one for YEARS... But I am keeping my eyes open for any that come through the rescue!
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Thu Dec 15, '11 6:03pm PST 
I was kind of kidding about the Chi, although there can be some mixes that are pretty big. Our shelter gives a month trial period.smile
[notify]
Kato

Birds!

Barked: Fri Dec 16, '11 2:13pm PST 
Sarah, I'll definitely reach out when the time comes.way to go

Bunny, in reality, I really considered a small dog. I'm so used to big dogs, I thought it'd be neat to have a tiny.laugh out loud I really don't care. I'm more drawn to personality.

But then I looked into the hiking situation and realized I just couldn't do it without being paranoid, so no littles for me.
[notify]