GO!

Opened our home to a stray, Welcome Rigby :)

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Wed Nov 16, '11 7:08pm PST 
So after a few months of searching for a medium sized female dog that could keep up with Cobain but play with Oz ...we finally found our newest fur family member!

Rigby (formerly Jorja) came to us from the Toronto Animal Services. She came to the shelter as a severely emaciated, skittish stray. She adopted out once for TWO days and returned before I finally saw her. (As much as I hate to admit it, I'm kinda glad things didn't work out in the other home wink)

We drove out an hour to check Rigby out. She was generating TONS of interest as it was her first time in PetSmart, and come on, just look at her big grin
Cobain was his typical snob self upon meeting her.
So much so that they almost did not adopt out to us.

After extensive persuasion and explanation of Cobain's jerk personality I was given the adoption papers.

The ride home was a long one. Rigby contained in the back, whining.
Cobain in the front looking irritated.

As soon as we got home Rigby seemed to have the mind set "this is my home now"
She has totally immersed herself in my household.
Within the first few hours she had learned her name and came when it was called.
She is trustworthy off lead, even in "busy" areas (the dog park).
I've never witnessed a dog attach itself so quickly to a household. She has no interest in wandering or running away.
She has NO issues with food aggression, possessions, having her feet touched, being picked up, having her nails trimmed, taking a bath, or having her mouth touched.
And she has more love to give than any other dog.

She is wonderful in every sense of the word.
I just wanted to share my story with her so far, and say they don't all have "issues" in hopes to inspire another family to opt to adopt smile
[notify]
Buddy

A dog among cats

Barked: Fri Nov 18, '11 11:32am PST 
Congrats on the new home, Rigby. I just found a new home this week too! snoopy
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Fri Nov 18, '11 11:46am PST 
Congrats! She is a pretty pup. I'm glad she's doing so well. Thanks for adopting.

I can't remember if you've fostered or adopted before...keep in mind that there usually is a 'honeymoon' phase. It takes at least a few weeks before a dog shows all to you. Even so, it's fun to work the kinks out with a dog, because at that point you've gained their trust. She's learning quickly, so she should be fun to train. Enjoy!cloud 9
[notify]

Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Fri Nov 18, '11 1:52pm PST 
Love the name!!!

Congratulations!
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Mon Nov 21, '11 5:19am PST 
We've fostered before smile
She's showing a few "new" behaviours to us, but nothing unworkable or deal breaking.....yet big laugh (joking of course, she's here to stay!)

She seems to act more and more like a puppy each day even though we were told she was 3.
[notify]
Bella

Barked: Wed Dec 7, '11 10:27am PST 
Congrats!

Us pound puppies are the best big grin
[notify]
Henry Miller

He's a tramp,- but they love- him!

Barked: Wed Dec 7, '11 8:22pm PST 
Congrats!! Your crew is pretty!

The shelter told me Henry was 3 when I adopted him. No way--he was mouthy, crazy, uncoordinated, peed like a girl, and half the size he is today!! laugh out loud The vet said he was more like 8-10 months.

Good luck with your puppy! laugh out loud
[notify]