GO!

Crafts for Shelter Dogs and Cats?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jasmine

Such a Happy- Girl

Barked: Tue Oct 21, '08 5:56pm PST 
What are some easy crafts to do that will benefit shelter dogs and cats?

All I can think of is to make bandanas that say "Adopt Me!". What else??

I know this isn't catster, but what are some good toys to make for cats?
Rondo

Puppy Prodigy

Barked: Tue Oct 21, '08 8:52pm PST 
Are you having a craft sale, or just trying to make things for the pets in the shelter?

Our HS here sells hand-made crafts at the farmer's market. There are some knit and crochet projects that are small, quick to make, and always sell well. I've also made some really easy, adorable knit Kitty toys that the kittycats seem to like. If you guys are doing fundraising this way let me know and I can toss some yarn-related ideas your way smile.
Jasmine

Such a Happy- Girl

Barked: Wed Oct 22, '08 3:59am PST 
I'm working with a high school animal welfare group. They really want to help the animals, but they are painfully shy at talking with each other. That makes it really difficult to get discussions going. So we're going to have an "icebreaker" meeting to get to know everyone a little better. I had planned to have some simple crafts to do at the same time, so that our time is well spent for the animals as well and so that some of the social awkwardness is taken away by keeping them busy.

big grin

So, no fundraising at this point, these will go directly to the animals at the shelter. But please throw yarn ideas my way anyway!

Riley

Too smart for my- own good!

Barked: Wed Oct 22, '08 7:23am PST 
Do you guys use blankets? You can have kids cut up larger blankets into more manageable sizes. Or I know some people actually make some nice fleece blankets for our cats with cute little ties at the ends. That's all I can think of for now...
Bianca

Graceful as a- moose

Barked: Wed Oct 22, '08 7:40am PST 
We have made dog and cat toys to donate to our local shelter with our local 4-H clubs. We cut fleece into strips (wide strips for big dogs and narrow strips for small dogs and cats), and then braided the strips together. For the dogs, we tied some knots in the braid to make a fun rope toy. For cats, we just tied the ends together, left one end long and cut it into fringes so they could bat at it.

Since you have high school kids, you could make sure to do the braids and the knots really tight, and then the toys will last for a long time. For the power-chewer dogs, we braided six strips of fleece instead of three, made the rope really tight, and tied really tight knots in it. I made one for Bianca (world champion power chewer) at Easter, and she still has one ragged piece of it that she carries around.

I don't know where you live, but our Wal-Mart has some fleece for around $3 per yard, and our Jo-Ann Fabrics has all of their fleece on sale this week. You can make several toys from one yard of fabric, depending on how big you cut the strips. We bought six yards and that made about 30 toys of various sizes. Our local shelter was really happy to get them and even sent us a thank you note.

If you have a little more money to spend, you might also try the tie blankets. Let me know if you need to know how to make those.

Edited by author Wed Oct 22, '08 7:42am PST

[notify]
Chamois

Barked: Wed Oct 22, '08 12:05pm PST 
The kittens like to play with pompoms. You can make them by winding yarn around cardboard donut shapes... wrap a lot of yarn, the denser the better. Ours are about one and a half inches in diameter. The kittens like to batt them around.
[notify]
Gwydion

Boxer Gentleman

Barked: Wed Oct 22, '08 12:10pm PST 
If any of you know how to make quilts, they take forever to do, but if the shelter puts it up on the wall and does a raffle for it, you can earn hundreds for your shelter. Some schools around here do that twice a year for us. You can do fleece "octopus" for cats to play with (cut a strip of fleece, tie a knot toward the top to make a loop, then cut the loose bottoms of the strip to make "legs") We also have gotten yarn knitted beds for kitties (we love them at our shelter) Coats are simple and great fun. You can use various paints and studs and such and make really nice collars and leashes out of cheap generic ones. If you have access you can paint and bake tiles for your shelter to put up. If you have any photographers in your group you can take really great pictures of the shelter animals to put up on their websites/publications, or to make posters for long timers to place in the lobby. You can sew little cat balls with bells in them, or mice.

There are also angles where you can cook/bake for the volunteers for your shelter. I know at ours we try very hard to make sure that our volunteers are recognized and know that no matter how rushed we might be, we appreciate everything they do no matter how big or small. They usually love getting baked goods they can grab quickly, or hot or cold drinks for when they are running around outside with animals.

Just a couple random ones off the top of my head. Good luck!
[notify]
♥M ♥

Missy MooMoo

Barked: Wed Oct 22, '08 12:15pm PST 
catnip stuffed toys
[notify]
Bianca

Graceful as a- moose

Barked: Wed Oct 22, '08 1:03pm PST 
Wow - lots of great ideas here! If you do decide to make coats, there are some simple patterns available. I found one that was pretty easy and I have very little sewing experience (actually, with a few modifications, you probably wouldn't have to do any sewing at all).

If you want to do bandanas, you can just cut triangles out of fabric (use pinking shears so the edges don't fray) or you can buy plain ones from Hobby Lobby and add your own decorations.

If there is a way to do some cooking/baking at your meeting, you might also try making some dog or cat treats to donate. Dogster forums have lots of recipes for making yummy dog treats!
[notify]
Jasmine

Such a Happy- Girl

Barked: Wed Oct 22, '08 2:54pm PST 
Thanks for all the ideas! I have made braided fleece toys for Jasmine like you described, Bianca, so thanks for reminding me!

I have a question about yarn pom-poms. I was planning on making these, but I didn't know if it was possible for cats to eat the yarn and hurt themselves? We have 2 free-roaming rooms at the shelter so the cats would have the toys with them even when unsupervised...
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2