GO!

Raincoat recommendations?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Aidan, CGC

Barked: Thu Sep 8, '11 8:42am PST 
I live in New England so when it rains, it really rains! We've recently had a few days of the heavy stuff with some flooding on the streets, and poor Aidan has been soaked to the bone on our walks to work.
I don't think a wet SD dripping all over the place is very professional, and the poor guy looks like a drowned rat when he gets wet. So I'm looking for raincoat recommendations!

I'm really interested in something like the Workingservicedogs.com raincoat (http://www.workingservicedog.com/Fleece_lined_raincoat.aspx) since it has the best coverage from what I've seen and I love that cowl thing that would keep his head dry, but it only comes sized for large dogs.

Aidan's belly is pretty low to the ground so it often gets just as wet as the top of him when he kicks up water, so I'm interested in what some of the smaller dogs around here that have that problem do.
[notify]
Rico Suave

I IS DA EVIL- LITTLE PILLOW- THIEF!

Barked: Thu Sep 8, '11 9:08am PST 
Rico uses a similar poncho and it comes in tiny size and works well on dogs with ears that stand its called a puddles raincoat lol and it holds up great in seattle rain AKA the rainy city!

http://www.jefferspet.com/puddles-raincoat/p/504/cn/100001/

other websites carry it aswell if its not in stock in your size and its normally under 12 bucks.

i can get a photo of rico wearing it if you would like
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Thu Sep 8, '11 10:33am PST 
I really like the Ruffwear raincoats. They have good coverage and also cover some of the belly. It also has a hood piece that is removable.
However if you can find a place that sells them in your area (you can find locations on their website) I'd suggest trying one on first because I've heard the stomach panel can be an issue for some male dogs. I also had to get a different size than the Large size their sizing chart said would fit Bianca. I tried the Large on her in a store and it didn't cover her whole back, since GSDs have long bodies. So I tried the XL size which according to their chart should have been too big, and it fit great. However if she was a male it would probably not have worked because the stomach panel goes way down to her lower stomach.
If you want more coverage, Ruffwear also makes a waterproof coat "Cloud Chaser" that has full chest coverage, but it is made to keep the dog warm so may be too hot sometimes. It also doesn't have a hood. I had one for my terrier mix and it was a bit snug around his chest (he had a hard to fit shape) but aside from that it fit pretty well.
[notify]

Rico Suave

I IS DA EVIL- LITTLE PILLOW- THIEF!

Barked: Thu Sep 8, '11 6:01pm PST 
Only thing about the ruffwear hood i tried it on rico his ears stand no matter what and the hood popps off constantly the puddles coat it has a snood type hood the kinda goes on like an E collar it doesnt bother the ears and covers the whole body I can even tuck ricos tail up under it.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Sep 8, '11 6:26pm PST 
I haven't had a problem with Bianca with the hood on the Ruffwear coat, and she has huge ears. Maybe it's because we went a size larger?
[notify]

Barked: Thu Sep 8, '11 8:44pm PST 
Ok just wanted to add, I used the raincoat tonight since it was raining and I noticed when the hood goes up her ears go back, so that's why they don't interfere with it.
Another option would be to use a regular dog coat or something like the Cloud Chaser (or the Ruffwear raincoat with the hood removed) then get a separate waterproof snood for their head.

If you wanted FULL coverage including legs and underside, you could get something like the K9 Top Coat:
http://www.k9topcoat.com/

They make several that are waterproof (some warm, some lightweight) and also sell a rain hat for dogs.

Edited by author Thu Sep 8, '11 8:47pm PST

[notify]
John

Sqeuaky?

Barked: Thu Sep 8, '11 9:10pm PST 
http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2009/09/how-to_dog_coat_from_a_rec ycle.html
I like this DIY idea because it allows for customization most raincoats I see are either ones that only cover the top of the dog or ones that are full body suits. I need one that's a little more like a cape than a coat and one that covers their belly as well plus I like the idea of getting a raincoat for $5 and some sewing time.
[notify]