GO!

Could someone explain to me a bit about how medicaid works when it comes to service dogs for autism?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Abrams Tank- SDiT

I'm trying to- fill some BIG- paws

Barked: Thu Aug 29, '13 5:18pm PST 
I have a friend who has a little boy age 3 years. They have recently found that the boy is autistic and they were told that medicaid would pay for the dog. I know that a lot of SD handlers dont like the idea of SDs for children that young because most training organizations tether the child and the dog together. This friend has seen my husband and I out with Tank and Bella and wanted to know what all medicaid provided concerning an autism Service Dog. I told her I would ask and see if anyone could explain it to me so I could explain it to her. I will be grateful for any help from anyone not just autism SD handlers.
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Thu Aug 29, '13 6:26pm PST 
If you don't get any answers here, you might try calling Medicaid and ask them. You may get transferred a few times, but they should know. Good Luck!
[notify]
Lilly

Barked: Fri Aug 30, '13 4:30pm PST 
To the best of my knowledge, medicaid does not cover any service dog related expenses. I'm in PA
[notify]