SDs and colleges (I can't find the good old threads)

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted
Barked: Sat Jul 6, '13 12:44pm PST 
Hey all,
I'm hoping to finally go back to school once Chaplin is fully trained (cross your fingers he makes it). But I'm not sure what I need to do in order for the school to approve him. They do need some sort of disability documentation right? I know for things like ADHD they do.

I tried to find the old threads on this but couldn't. And I'm not sure if they would be out of date or not anyway.


Hero of Hyrule
Barked: Sat Jul 6, '13 9:10pm PST 
I think it will depend on the school. Technically I think they can require documentation of your disability, but I'm starting school at the community college here in the fall, and so far everyone I've called says they don't require anything. I think that will change when I transfer to the university here after I get my AA. If I remember right I believe schools fall under Title II of the ADA, not Title III like most rights for service dog handlers.
Abrams Tank- SD

I'm trying to- fill some BIG- paws
Barked: Sat Jul 6, '13 10:48pm PST 
I know the collage where my hubby went last year asked only for a letter from his mental and behavioral health doctor and a paper stating that Tank was up to date on his shots and that he would wear a vest,backpacks or a bandana that states he is a SDiT.

Brady SD

Full steam- ahead.
Barked: Sun Jul 7, '13 11:37am PST 
I've posted this before but it's relevant again.

You might want to check with the college's disability services office, sometimes, from what I have read on the S&TD forum here and my own colleges, they require you to 'register' that you have the SD on campus. Even though most public colleges are under federal law from receiving federal funding but I believe most still want to know that you indeed need/have the SD/ESD. Generally they address each student on a case by case basis.

Google things like "Dogster college service dog" and see what others have posted in the past on Dogster S&TD if you need more ideas.

Good luck and best wishes.
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted
Barked: Sun Jul 7, '13 10:02pm PST 
I have googled them and for some reason (maybe I'm just silly) nothing very relevant has popped up.

Are they, like work places, allowed to ask intrusive questions and get doctors' notes for proof of disability? I'm assuming that is the case as kids with ADHD have to provide proof. But can a school request that you show evidence of your dog's training?