GO!

Velcro for service dog patches

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Sat Mar 16, '13 12:21am PST 
For those of you that use velcro for service dog patches, which velcro brands have you had the most success with? After sewing all of the patches onto Baby's vest I've decided I really don't want to do that again. Chaplin can't wear Baby's for skin sensitivities (portie trait).

But as I look online I'm a little wary of the velcros and am worried they won't stick properly to a vest fabric.

Also, for the "in training patch" what do you suggest I do? I prefer to keep a "service dog" patch on just because I noticed some people get ornery without one so I probably won't be able to find a patch to replace the "in training".
[notify]
Abrams Tank- SDiT

I'm trying to- fill some BIG- paws

Barked: Sat Mar 16, '13 8:14pm PST 
I used the velcro that is made for military uniforms on Tank's vest. It works really well to keep his in training patches on his vest. It is very strong and has a very secure hold.
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Sat Mar 16, '13 9:35pm PST 
I had a "Service Dog In Training Patch" for Jake's backpack for when we were out in public. I'm happy it was just an iron on since i was able to eventually pull it off once i was forced to wash Jake.

I also had the leash cover that said "Service Dog" that was very helpful.

I never used velcro though.
[notify]

Charlie- Chaplin

Barked: Tue Mar 19, '13 8:44am PST 
Thanks all.

Tank, where can I find army velcro?
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Tue Mar 19, '13 12:53pm PST 
Though I'm not tank. I would suggest your local army surplus store or Online. I get some of the best stuff at the Army Surplus store.
[notify]
Zoey

SDit

Barked: Tue Mar 19, '13 6:28pm PST 
i love using velcro for Zoey's patches, i just use saw-on (not stick-on) from joanns and it works great for me smile
[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 9:39am PST 
Thanks both of you =)
[notify]
Abrams Tank- SDiT

I'm trying to- fill some BIG- paws

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 12:01pm PST 
I bought the stuff we had at our local walmart. Its called ACU repair I think. They also have some called attach a patch that works really well also.
[notify]
Suki

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 3:15pm PST 
If I understood you right, you made a comment that your patch with velcro may not stick to your cape material. You are correct-you must sew (or glue) one side of the velcro (usually the soft side)to your cape, then sew the harder (hook) side to the patch. Some patch companys sell patches with velcro already attached but they are few and far between.
[notify]
Rest in- Paradise- Voltaire.- 1/1

Did somebody say- deer??

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 5:22pm PST 
I've used industrial sticky velcro on my cape (from sit stay) and it's so stuck on I can barely get it off. You NEED to follow the instructions and put it on and weigh it down with something heavy overnight before putting the other side that's attached to the patch on it.

Also I put the hard side on the vest and the soft side on the patches, easier to take off and I've had a problem with my nylon leash catching the edge of the hard velcro if it's on the patch and getting hung up.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2