GO!

The vest is rubbing off his fur...

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Sat Mar 9, '13 11:26pm PST 
For some reason a lot of Portuguese water dogs have very irritable and sensitive fur where it is white. Chaplin's happens to be all along his chest and the vest is just rubbing away at his fur and skin. I'm using one similar to this style:

http://www.petjoyonline.com/service-dog-vests/service-dog- starter-package-with-harness-vest

Any recommendations? Of course I'll stop the use until I can get a new one or salvage the situation.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Sun Mar 10, '13 12:09am PST 
Is it the straps causing the rubbing? Check if they offer strap covers for your vest if so. If not you can find some from other companies. I think Activedogs makes some, you can check the size to see if it would fit your straps. If not you can buy a horse girth strap cover, possibly it may need to be cut to fit.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sun Mar 10, '13 8:30am PST 
You can also pick up seat belt cover's at walmart for very cheap which is a good way to fix the problem. The straps on his vest bother my new pup too.
[notify]

Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Sun Mar 10, '13 8:38am PST 
Strap covers are a great idea. If you can't find any that fit, you could consider making some yourself, or perhaps getting some made at a local saddle shop. One handler I knew who uses a short haired SD with sensitive skin had all vest straps covered at her saddle shop.
[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Sun Mar 10, '13 1:40pm PST 
Thank you for the suggestions. I think I'll try walmart first.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 8:49pm PST 
Sadie is a short fur breed and sometimes when out all day she can have some ware and tear on her fur too. I learn how to get away form that by using a thunder vest under her serv. vest or I made a strap guard for her sentsitive area.
[notify]
Suki

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 3:30pm PST 
There can be a number of reasons why your cape is causing fur loss. A cape may fit fine when your dog is standing--when he lies down the cape may be too tight and cut in. If he is wearing a harness you just entered a whole new world. I know I built harness's for ten years to get it rite. If you do not need your dog to carry stuff, I mean need, then he probable should not be in a back pack. A nice light cape with as straps as loose as possible (just enough to keep the cape stationary) should cure your problem. The covers on the straps are really meant for dogs that must pull. In 20 years of designing equipment for hundreds of dogs I never had one that was uncomfortable or had hair pulled out. Just a few thoughts for ya. earsandtail.com
[notify]