GO!

A Few Questions - My Dog A Psychiatric Service Dog?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2  
Isaac

Barked: Sun Mar 3, '13 5:24am PST 
I have nothing at all against owner training.

However, the ADA does say, very clearly, that the dog must be trained to perform tasks. This comes directly from the Dept. of Justice website: "A service animal is a dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for a person with a disability." See, it says "individually trained." You can read the whole thing here: http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm
[notify]
Link

Hero of Hyrule

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 3:26am PST 
Considering that that trial was back in 2004, I have to wonder if the outcome would have been different with the recent 2010 changes to the ADA regarding service dogs (specifically that service dogs can be owner trained). Though as someone already mentioned this should have been tried under the protection of the FHA. It is very important of course to keep a training log, but no where in the ADA does it say that the dog must be professionally trained, or even really give any guidelines as to the training SDs must undergo, besides saying they must be individually trained to mitigate their handler's disability, which should have been covered by positive reinforcement, as that is a very legitimate method of training.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 7:01pm PST 
I agree to a point with everyone but I think I would more say since she dose do some tasks for you then you should I would say find other tasks that you would need and train her for those keep incuraging her to do the things she already dose for you as tasks. this what did with Sadie.
make sure she is well socialized too. I don't thing the PAT is really nessary it is not madatory but it dose help. Sadie dose not have those test under her though she has been essessed by trainers that do those test. Though she dose not have papers stating it. I have had a doz. seasoned trainers tell me that she is a well trained dog. Though sometimes she is out of character and likes to jump on her friend(people). I tell people or more so remind people after all she is a dog. Dogs should be allowed to be dogs too. When I forget Sadie reminds me how much a dog she is. When Sadie is not in vest she is a dog. Sadie works 24/7 but she also has dog time to cause I am not out and about all the time.Most the time she is either in the house and at home so behaving like a is ok cause she is not in public persay. The only time she is not allowed to be a dog-dog is when she is in a vest. She knows that I exspect her to act appropriatly. Work is work then and there. I guess then you would say that she is trained to be have when in a public place she is well socialized and dose not put her nose in inappropreate places. What she dose for me personally I guess to say is between she and I. I have read a lot on here how a lot of people are uncomfortable telling people their disabilities and telling people what the dog is for would be doing that. So I guess I just train her for to be a good behaving dog and encurage her to do things that she dose naturally to help me. cause when I read how people say things here on the ADA it would make me feel I am telling you that Sadie is not trained to be a SD. But she is trained to do what I need her to do and she dose it. and that is what I understand what the ADA rules mean.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2