GO!

Landlord wants to refuse us a service dog

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 27)  
1  2  3  

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 12:41pm PST 
Since I know there was some question as to whether my landlord fell under the FHA rulings based on number of houses rented, etc., I found this:

Person in the business of selling or renting dwellings means any person who:

(a) Within the preceding twelve months, has participated as principal in three or more transactions involving the sale or rental of any dwelling or any interest therein;

(b) Within the preceding twelve months, has participated as agent, other than in the sale of his or her own personal residence, in providing sales or rental facilities or sales or rental services in two or more transactions involving the sale or rental of any dwelling or any interest therein; or

(c) Is the owner of any dwelling designed or intended for occupancy by, or occupied by, five or more families.

State means any of the several states, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or any of the territories and possessions of the United States.

We KNOW he has at LEAST 3 rental homes, so he would definitely meet qualification a.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 12:17pm PST 
I hope you get things solved Guest I have been through this with my Landlord as I stated before.
My Land lord as I said is very happy with Sadie and now loves her and believes in her work.
[notify]
Cooper

microscopic mutt

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 2:05pm PST 
Um, not to belabor what is probably obvious to everyone reading this topic, but what Reno said was incorrect; the ADA does not apply to housing. If you feel the need to confirm that for yourself, call the ADA Information Line at 800-514-0301.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Mar 1, '13 6:44am PST 
We are acting under FHA and Georgia state laws to enforce this. We sent a certified letter stating all the laws, making our request for reasonable accommodation, and even showing proof that he does have to comply based on regulations, even though he is a private owner. He meets the requirements to do so. Hopefully we will hear back this coming week. We visited with the dog we want AGAIN this week, and every time we are with her, I just love her more and know that she is the right fit for our family. We even went and visited with some other dogs who are already in service training to see if we felt like they were better suited. What I want to do (since our landlord doesn't want a big dog) is go and get the Great Dane/German Shepherd mix that is already in training....lol. I know that dog is way too big for our kids, but it would be fun for me to let the landlord meet THAT dog. big grin
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Fri Mar 8, '13 4:38pm PST 
Lol I had that issue too when I first started looking though Sadie was about 35lbs when I first got her. She was all puppy,not what I had intended to get. I had looked in to a few other breeds I really loved one was the great dane breed. (LOL) I have a small one bed room ground floor apt. it would have been crazy. There was a dog almost if not as big as one in one of the shelters I went to. I could not get him cause my landlord had told them I cold not have pets here (Even though I had told them that I did not intend to have him as a pet.) They still would not allow me to get him. I finally found Sadie in uncle henry's she was bought form a breeder by a guy who's life was changing and could not give Sadie the time she needed. I exsplained that I was looking for a dog to be trained for my SD and he was happy that sadie was going to be in a good home and doing good work. Since then She has gone through a lot of training and been in a lot of places. My Land lord loves her and everyone that is a round here loves Sadie.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 5:54pm PST 
I hope is all going better for you all with getting your SD in to your home.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 6:27pm PST 
I hope you did solve this issue with your Landlord I know how straining it can be with that sorta problem.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 27)  
1  2  3