GO!

What qualifies someone ford a sd

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 9:34am PST 
I understand the book answer, a person with a recognized disability that stops them from completing a major life activity. I have had fibromyalgia for a long time, some days I hurt so much I can't get out of bed, other days I'm fine and ill be walking and then I'll have a random painful flare up that causes me to lose balance or sometimes even fall. I have documentation from doctors recognizing this "disease" and prescriptions for related medication. Am I a faker if I choose to get a service dog? I don't understand what makes some an actual sd team vs one that is fake is that fakers don't have any disability at all? I have a dog currently and I do obedience competitions with him, does this mean he can't be my sd because he is titled? He helps retrieve objects for me when I'm not feeling well or if I drop something. I've read having a doctors note does not make you a legit team, what does? I just need some clarity on my situation I don't take him to public places but it'd be helpful if I could though to be honest I'm pretty much a shut in and hardly leave any where because I always start hurting if I get too stressed out. Thanks for all of your replies and advise.
[notify]
Isaac

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 12:51pm PST 
You qualify for a SD if you are disabled according to the ADA definition, which as you said means you are substantially limited with regard to one or more major life functions. That doesn't mean you can't do those things at all. Your doctor should be able to help you determine if you meet the definition.

In order for a dog to be a service dog, he has to be trained to perform tasks that mitigate your disability. You said your dog sometimes retrieves things for you. Are you unable to retrieve those things yourself? If so, that would be a task your dog does to mitigate your disability. If it's something your dog does but you could do it yourself, then it's not a task that mitigates your disability. For instance, my dog can open the refrigerator for me, but I can open it myself, so that doesn't count as a task. There are other things he does that I cannot do for myself, though, that he does to mitigate my disability.

People with "fake" service dogs might be people that aren't disabled. Or they might be disabled, but might have a dog that has not been trained to do anything to mitigate their disability.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 12:01pm PST 
I know I have responded to this post once before. But I think again is a good idea cause I might have more to say and help you with this storie. I find I have so many ailments that I stop counting them and all are disabling and justify the use of my SD. One of the most things is the mobilitie issues I have. She is easy to use and I don't have to look for places to store her. BOL.
The thing is I do have a walking and did physical therapy to learn to use it but I find Sadie is better then using that cause the walking area I walk in is so ruff and it melts well not be tared at all. I have heard a few weird stories about how people used their SDs just like that a (cane or walker etc.) Sadie is a living being she thinks and can go around something like a pot whole and such. A walker or a cane dose not do that, I can still trip over something and fall. Fibroid. is one of my many ailments and falling really is not fun. The other day I was walking through some snow and fell and I payed for it days afterward. Hence I am happy to have Sadie and I can relate to you the poster person.
[notify]