GO!

General Puppy Update and Questions

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Cromm Crúaich CD

The Magic- Malinois

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 6:00pm PST 
The months after my PSD Terrowin died were hard for me. Finding a breed / breeder I liked wasn't easy but I managed. I found a great Working Malinois breeder and the dam and sire of the current litter were extremely mellow dogs.

I bought a pup. In fact the breeder let him go at 6 weeks which was great for training. He had passed his CGC at 8 weeks and by that time was doing 3 minute out of sight sit / down stays. Perfect dog for my active go-go lifestyle. Everything is progressing amazing with him.

However. Malinois aren't a breed that very people fanatic. VERY handler focused, which is the reason I fell in love with the breed but he doesn't give a seconds notice to other people but they sure notice him and I get about 500 questions about him on a daily basis. The most common being "What breed is he?"

Now most people have NO IDEA what a Malinois is but those that do practically yell at me for using an "aggressive breed" as an SD (in training) He's dark. He doesn't look like a typical Mal. Would it be wrong of me to just say "German Shepherd Mix" when they ask.

I'm getting pretty peeved about people lecturing me about my choice of SD and the ensuing explanation on my part of his lineage and how well I've socialized him and blah blah blah.

I know any non "typical" SD breed is prone to scrutiny by others but I really feel like tearing my hair out over this
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 9:05pm PST 
Amazingly I actually get Mal a lot for Loki, I'm thrilled he's doing so well for you. That was actually a breed I was considering but ultimately decided to go with a GSD because of size. I don't think it's any of their business as to what breed your dog is and ultimately I don't think it's a good idea for people to get the wrong idea about the breed. I always worried about that with Happy.
[notify]