GO!

How do you handle curious strangers in public?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 2:59pm PST 
Polly, it's hard to know whether I am bothered less because I use a GSD. I would say I'm interrupted at least once per place I visit on errands or appointments.

Still, I am interrupted far less often now that I've been in my new community for over a year, though I still have the occasional access challenges in new places we visit.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 3:12pm PST 
I can see that being so Iris since most are still familar with GSDs then these other breeds and there are more and more sweet cute awsomely silly looking SD coming out now. I don't feel though that it should make a differents since they are well marked if they have a vest on telling people yes, I am cute but I am working here and unless my mom says so Please don't pet me. Not to say that GSDs are not cute since I have had a few German shepards in my life and in my feelings all dogs are cute.
Animal lovers are the most seriously notorious petters I have found and I am so a shamed that people would not hold them self in check when it comes to SD. I have held myself in check cause I know that it is important that YOU MUST NOT DESTUBE A SD that is working. I guess I feel that it is a situation that is just logical. In this day I mean.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '13 4:29pm PST 
Sophie isn't a service dog but she does get stressed with grabby people. I usually just explain she gets "funny" sometimes...and leave it at that, most people perceive funny as perhaps they shouldn't take the chance of getting too close.
[notify]

Sarge

Teddybear

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '13 7:45pm PST 
Polly I can't say for sure whether or not poodles or doodles get even more attention but with Sarge we do get mobbed a lot. It's not 1 or 2 or 3 people per place but a lot. I think the other day I had probably at least 15 people stop us if not more at one store. I had one guy standing right beside me listening in on a phone conversation waiting for me to get off just to ask me about Sarge. There was one time I was at Dave and Busters sitting down to eat and enjoy my last dinner with my husband and kids before my hubby left for Iraq and we kept having wait staff and management coming over to talk about Sarge and ohh and ahhh over him. The most annoying part is that other customers kept coming to our table too and bringing over their family's to look at him. We usually always have at least 1 or 2 people ask to take his picture as well. I do have to say some comments are hilarious. One that we actually get quite often is " OMG it moved! I thought it was stuffed." All I can think of was Yes! I walk around the stores with a giant stuffed dog on a leash, don't you? I never say it but I sure am thinking it. Usually I just smile and laugh and keep moving. Another one we get all the time is he's so big you could have the kids ride around on him like a horse. I had one sales person actually say I just want to jump on his back and ride him!......well we moved away from her as quickly as we could. Lol.
[notify]
Polly

Lolly girl

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 3:40pm PST 
Thanks for sharing Iris..Sarge, yes I hear the stuffed animal thing too.
It still seems funny to me that people make such a big deal over the SD..I mean you would think we walk around with a Zebra on a leash laugh out loud
[notify]
Jerry

Super Jerry the- Diabetic Alert- Dog

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 7:25am PST 
I really think that having any sort of SD that isn't a "typical" SD breed really grabs people's attention. Jerry's sometimes looks like a fluffy white bear and it's really hard for people to resist loving on him. I field a lot of questions and do a lot of education that just because he isn't a pure-bred golden, lab or german shepherd, doesn't mean that he isn't great at his job and has a wonderful personality flowers
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 12:20pm PST 
I can see that being so Sophia I have said that to people too. But sadie being Sadie and her job being a SD make people look at me like the top thing to be well known is that SDs have to be non agressive. Sadie dose not show any sighns of aggressiveness but I feel on days I really am in a rush about getting out of a place or away form people. I think that if someone is going to stick their hand out to a strange dog then they are taking a risk on getting bit. Wether it is a SD or not.
People tend to get more curiouser as they see more and more SDs in public.
I like to have people ask me as I have said in other posts and I know that by expereance I have to say she is friendly enough but I am not so friendly. I find I get some what crative when I am not in the mood to deal with these people. I know how they feel cause I can be a bit curious at times too. I just desided it is good to be honest as you can and tell them that I understand that they are curious and I am just as curious about them but I don't have time to appease their curiousness.
[notify]
Sarge

Teddybear

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '13 7:50pm PST 
Lol. Maybe not a Zebra but one time when we were at Walmart I had a little girl get all excited and say," Look mommy, it's a cow!" That was hilarious!
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 1:25pm PST 
LOL Serge I think you are really sweet looking. I have a newish friend that has a St. barnard too.(perbred) I had all but thought for just a moment that I had wished that I could have bred her with him. He had many good qualities to make it work but since Sadie is fixed of corse I could not do so.
Since she has the many colors that Sarge has her pups would have been awsomly cute and very smart I am sure too. But I am a great beleiver in not bring puppies in to the would that don't have a chance or home already that would be a life time commitment. But as I said when I saw Sarge here I feel right in love and can see the temp. of touching him. Sadie is also found to be an attractive lure to the touchers and petters. I just ask that they dont' when I am in a rush or exsplain that she can be timmed when there are strangers. I am not real sure what other people would think about my ways of working my SD.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 12:51pm PST 
I understand that by nature Man is curious. I try to remember this when I can. I have had people come up and ask me about sadie and then walking and shaking their head saying that is a faker.
There are so many people out there not understand that there are many different SDs out there now midigating for many different kinds of disabilities that you really can keep up with them.
Dogs are not just being used for Blind or hearing anymore. There are many different disabities out there and there are now many dogs learning to help people to over come those disabilities, and to be part of this wonderful world we are in again. That is what it is all about being able to gain more ground in independents and copping with being disabled. I am sure there are a lot of people that are going to be curious about the dog that is on that leash and why he is in the place that most animals are not allowed to be. Why this person is like that or what is going on with them etc. What it takes to train that dog and if it is safe being in the public like that. I try to help
teach people about what when and how of the SD world. But as I have said in other post I am not alway in the mood to do that.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3