GO!

Pet Peeve

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Qwigley

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 7:38am PST 
pet peeve; When I'm waiting for the bus and it pulls up, they see my dog, and won't open the doors just shaking their head frantically and mouthing 'no'. This happened the other day and I finally got so mad I picked Qwigley up, turned him around and pointed viciously at his 'service dog in training' patch. I shouldn't have to do that. In CA I have the same PA rights as a service dog and they can't refuse me. It really pisses me off that they don't even open the door to hear me. It also makes me mad at the thought that if he HADN'T been wearing his vest, the bus would have just driven away.

What pisses me off more is the bus drivers that literally don't stop to even check if he's a service dog and just drive on by.

And one time I got on the bus and argued the whole time with the driver that she wouldn't get in trouble for me being on there with him. She was talking about how she'd get in big trouble if someone found out and I kept telling her no she wouldn't because my dog was allowed on the bus and UGH

I really wish I had my own vehicle.
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 1:09pm PST 
That is part of the deal when you choose a non-typical or a small/toy breed. I'd love to say that it gets better, but that would be a lie. In time, it does become easier to face the challenges as well as gently educating those that attempt to deny us access.
[notify]
Dude

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 5:15pm PST 
It's really frustrating and from my experience It's not any easier with larger more traditional looking SD. It's almost impossible to try to cach taxi with large SD.
[notify]

Isaac

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 6:47am PST 
Have you contacted the bus company about this? It sounds like they need to educate their drivers.
[notify]
Chief- Majestix the- Impeccable

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 9:17am PST 
I second Isaac.
They will respond to your complaint... trust me. Also contact the DoJ and report them, cause then they will respond.
Sorry that happened to you. I had a similar issue several years ago. I called SamTrans and voila, no more issues. In fact the drives are very helpful and friendly AND ask the right question!
Greetings and crossing my fingers, sonja and the crew

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 11:49am PST 
It's just what happens, even if you have a typical service dog. There are more and more standard poodles and I go through it all the time. It seems if you're not wearing sunglasses and carrying a cane with a black lab, people will always give you problems and even then, blind people still get access issues as well from what I hear in the news.
[notify]
Rest in- Paradise- Voltaire.- 1/1

Did somebody say- deer??

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 2:55pm PST 
You have to call the bus company with the driver's name or their bus number so they can set them straight. Not opening the door for you in incredibly rude!
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 2:54pm PST 
So far I have not had that issue since I have yet to get on a public bus though I have taken Saide on a Handiecap bus a few times with her and my son too who was working with me for my PA.
I had a problem when she got sick once on the bus she was still getting adjusted to riding in vehicals. Now I wonder what I am going to do if I choose to go that root since there is a public bus that goes between towns. I did live in a town/ city that had availble transportation and passes for disabled person. I wondered if I were to move back there sometimes wether I would have to deal with things like that. I had met a few SDs on the bus when I did live in the city before I got Sadie and those people did not seem to have issues with the drivers of the buses. I just wonder how I would deal with a driver that was giving me trouble about my SD. I am sure I would not deal well.
[notify]