GO!

PAT Evaluator

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Service Dogs in Training

Service Dog in- Progress

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 8:06am PST 
I am helping out a friend who is training her dog as a hearing dog for her husband. I suggested that if she wants the dog to go into public places she should take the public access test to judge her dog's abilities. Does anyone know of any certified trainers that can administer the test in Central Florida?
[notify]
Isaac

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 10:30am PST 
A trainer certified by what organization? There is no "official" public access test. Different trainers use different tests. Programs that train and place service dogs typically have their own tests, which vary from program to program. Your friend could just contact professional trainers and ask if they can administer a public access test.
[notify]
Service Dogs in Training

Service Dog in- Progress

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 2:14pm PST 
Isaac-

I know she can have a service dog trainer test her. I read on ADI's website however that only an ADI certified trainer can give the official test. I suppose it doesn't really matter though.
[notify]

Link

Hero of Hyrule

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 7:12pm PST 
The ADI is full of crap. They think that psychiatric service dogs don't exist and are trying to get the ADA to require nationwide certification from their organization. The ones I've met are poorly trained, and I've heard far more complaints regarding ill behavior from their graduates.
[notify]
SIR AILBE,- Service Dog

Born To Serve- The Damsel In- Distress

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 6:15am PST 
I know some people who do have ADI PTSD and Psych Service Dogs... So, you can't say that the ADI doesn't approve of Psych dogs because some ADI programs do offer them.

The Dept of Veterans Affairs is working with them and the VA is ONLY doing a three study on the benefits of dogs working for Veterans with PSTD, psych disorders, etc.. The ADI didn't tell them that "We DON'T ALLOW THEM".

The ADI offers what the standard requirements of having a sound proof service dog in the field should be. You're going to find some wonderful and not so wonderful ADI teams. You could find a team going through a private trainer who doesn't know a darn thing about service dogs and tell you're dog is ready when they're not.

I went to an ADI program with my 1st and we passed the PAT with an ADI instructor. The only thing we refused was taking the final exam where they made it mandatory that all service dogs must pick up and retrieve. My dog could not, but could do other tasks to migate my disability. The Dept of Veterans Affairs took note of his training with this ADI program and grandfathered him in with the VA Service Dog Act. My Primary got on board with my service pup and its already on file that another dog is being secured for me. The VA told me to show me his training records and certification test for then can allow Ailbe in as my next VA Service Dog.

Ailbe
[notify]