GO!

Service Dog Applications?

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 8:09pm PST 
I've been looking into applying to a service dog program for awhile now, and I'm wondering, how many programs do you apply to? Do you apply to one and see if it works out and you get accepted, or apply to a couple in case one doesn't work out and you can go for the other one?

I'm thinking of applying to Paws with a Cause and/or NLMAD(New Life Mobility Assistance Dogs.) although I'm not sure about the second, but a 2nd, smaller program for sure. Paws with a Cause is well known and respected, but has a bigger waitlist so I'm thinking I have less of a chance of getting accepted and then being on a super extensive waitlist, whereas at NLMAD they are smaller and I probably would have a chance of getting a dog a lot sooner. Also NLMAD is near where I go to school, even if they are not as big of an organization as Paws with a Cause, a program like that might be a better choice?

Should I fill out applications to both and see what happens, or try to make the decision now?

Thanks smile

Edited by author Sun Oct 28, '12 6:13pm PST

[notify]
Aidan, CGC

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 8:27pm PST 
I would fill them both out! Most SD applications have a section that asks what other organizations you've applied to, so I think they assume you're not going to put all your eggs in one basket. Also, with such long wait lists, it's much better to apply earlier rather than later. Some programs take a while to get back to you, and that's time you could have spent on another waitlist!

I only applied to one, but I was fairly certain they'd take me since it's not a huge program and I fit well in their parameters.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Oct 27, '12 9:05am PST 
Okay, I'll do both then smile
Thank you!!
[notify]